Chapter 35 ~ Ambush

⚠️⚠️

Recap:

"More than air itself, my vittra," he breathed. Reyna smirked. Finally, she closed the remaining distance between them and fused them in a desperate kiss. Loki moved his hand to her hair, tangling long fingers in the mop of curls as green and black magic exploded around them in a supernova of swirls and sparks. They didn't pay it any mind and for one blissful moment, the horrors of their past, present, and future didn't seem to exist anymore.

Reyna walked along the net of streets on her way toward the little corner supermarket located a few blocks away from the compound. Completely unable to wipe the stupid grin off her face. Last night had been... interesting, to say the least. After the whole seducing-Steve-thing happened, she spent the rest of the night apologizing for embarrassing him in front of the team. Steve simply waved it off, saying that he both enjoyed it, which scared her a bit, and he could never stay angry at her, especially after he got half of Reyna's bet money, so there were no hard feelings there. Thankfully. It was, however, the latter portion that had her grinning. That kiss. Just the memory of it made her feel giddy and warm. She had spent the rest of the night in Loki's room, but they hadn't done anything other than keep each other company. Nothing too exciting. When the morning came, and everyone was too hungover to function, she barely felt what the others were complaining about. Sure, she felt drained and a bit lightheaded, but nothing horrible. So, as everyone were whining and whimpering and overall miserable, they sent her out to buy some cure-alls. Reyna had, of course, asked why she couldn't just conjure it up, but the team had insisted that she needed to get out of the building every once in a while. She had just rolled her eyes but materialized a heavy coat over a pair of jeans and a hoodie, nonetheless. She marched out of the building, and into the bitter cold of the New York November. The Latina shook her head as she opened the glass door to the little store. Reyna quickly searched through the aisles, picking up and checking off everything on the list that floated next to her with a flying pen. She couldn't be bothered to be on the down low. Once she had everything gathered, she went up to the register and loaded the mountain of things up on the counter. A little black woman behind it rang her up.

"Would that be all, miss?" She looked up with a smile.

"Yes, I think I'm all set." Reyna smiled back.

"You sure you don't want a bag or anything? Or do you have a carrier outside?" She laughed, a weird mix between a Southern and New Yorker accent shining through.

"A carrier?"

"Gotta keep those men around for something, don't we?"

"Oh, yeah, but no. I can handle it all by myself," Reyna stated as she wiggled her fingers where black glitter sparkled.

"I don't doubt it. Alright then, 117,95, please." The woman smiled warmly.

"Those guys sure have an appetite," Reyna muttered as she handed the woman a 100- and a 20-dollar bill. Telling her to keep the change, Reyna loaded everything into the bottomless backpack Loki made for her trip. She thanked the woman and walked out of the store and onto the busy streets again. It would take about 20 minutes to take the main roads and only 15 through the allies. Allies, it is, she thought. Putting in a pair of earbuds, she took off, zigzagging between enormous buildings. Sometimes through narrow passages and sometimes through more open spaces. Dirty, ill-looking people sat curled up in doorways and on cardboard cots. She kept walking. As she entered a wider alley with oil barrels along the walls. Around four or five people around each here and there. Reyna could feel their hungry eyes trailing after her. She kept walking. Just 20 meters from the opening, then she would be out. Apparently, the people around the barrels had other plans. Suddenly, they had her surrounded. One took hold of her arms and pinned them to her back, while another placed a knife at her throat. They both reeked of alcohol and cigarette smoke. Nothing new to her, but to that extent, it was nauseating even for her. Reyna stood perfectly still as the man holding the knife pulled her earbuds from her ears. She would have to remember that her sensing skills were of no use if she wasn't able to hear her surroundings. The tall, scraggly man really seemed to enjoy inflicting terror because he sure took his sweet time dragging the knife up her windpipe. He put the point against her chin and forced her face up. Reyna kept her expression stoic as she met his eye. These idiotic males didn't scare her in the slightest.