Chapter 39 ~ Take down

Recap:

"These friends of yours are getting more and more interesting. What's next? You'll bring home Thumbelina?" She asked before going into the kitchen to put the wine away. Peter and Reyna looked at each other and almost burst out laughing. They decided not to tell Aunt May about Scott for now.

"Can't you come along? It'll be fun! You can just put up an illusion and trick the director into thinking that you're supposed to be there. Easy! Also, I think you need to see how it works in a high school," Peter babbled. The weekend had gone by quickly. Peter and Reyna spent most of the time playing different games and simply having fun, something Reyna desperately needed. Then Monday came along, and it was time for Peter to go to school. He had been pushing for Reyna to come along all weekend and every time, Reyna simply refused.

"Aranho, we've been over this. I can't. If the team gets notice of where I am, they will come after me to take me back, and I'm not very fond of that idea," Reyna argued like she had done every single time before.

"What are you kids arguing for? Peter, you need to go." May came into the room.

"I'm trying to convince Reyna to come with me to school. She has never been to a high school before, and I think it would be good for her. Can you help me? She thinks it's too dangerous." Peter adorned his puppy dog eyes in an attempt at convincing his aunt. May actually looked like she was trying to come up with a solution to the problem.

"What do you say? I call the dean and tell her that your parents are good friends of mine and there has been a family emergency, so you have to live with us for a time until it gets resolved. And, since we don't want your education to suffer because of it, I'm asking them to take you in for however long it takes for the matter to resolve," May proposed. Reyna had to admit that it was a pretty good cover. She sighed.

"I'm not getting out of this, am I?" She chuckled.

"Nope," Peter declared with the brightest smile in existence.

"Right, I'll go call the dean, but I will be needing an alter ego for you," May pointed to Reyna.

"Laura Diaz," the mutant decided almost immediately.

"Okay, good. You are 17 years old and live on the north side regularly. Don't give them too many details that can be mixed up between stories," May dictated before leaving the room to make the call. Peter turned to Reyna.

"Illusion" was the only thing he said, looking like a little kid on Christmas. Reyna simply laughed and focused on an illusion that wouldn't be hard to keep up the whole day. One that she could keep consistent throughout the week. She knew what she had looked like at 17. Gods, it felt like an eternity ago now. Carefully weaving the illusion, she slowly de-aged before Peter's thrilled eyes. Once she finished and looked up at him again, he almost didn't recognize her. Her features were still there except for a few things, but the fact that she now looked five years younger was kind of freaky. Her eyes, the thing that stuck out the most normally, had dulled down a bit to a sparkling amber. Still gorgeous, but not as placeable as her yellow ones. There was no way anyone would recognize her at school now.

"Everything is ready. The school bought it. Get going now, or you're going to be late. You look amazing, Reyna. Peter, if I were you, I would go for it," May winked at the teen who grew red as a tomato and spluttered protests while Reyna laughed at his misfortune. Peter picked up his backpack and dragged a still-laughing Reyna with him out of the apartment.

The two teens walked through the big doors into the noisy world of Midtown high school. Reyna's eyes flashed as her sword's battle instincts kicked in response to the sheer amount of people and noise that now surrounded her. Peter thankfully picked up on her discomfort and placed a hand on her shoulder, easing her discomfort. She wasn't alone. Reyna smiled softly in response and adorned her usual confident and proud posture, now standing a bit taller than Peter.