Chapter 30 ~ The stud

⚠️⚠️

Recap:

"No shit, Sherlock," Nat said in a deadpan tone.

Reyna didn't get much sleep that night, too nervous about the coming morning. She couldn't seem to shake the feeling of a slave auction, that she and Loki would be displayed and sold to the highest bidder. When she thought about it, they were very alike. However, during a press conference, it wasn't souls being sold and bought. Instead, it's information and secrets to use against people. The soon-to-be Avenger looked out the window to her room. The stars were still shining bright, and the moon had no intention of switching place with the sun any time soon. It didn't matter. Her head was spinning far too much to go back to sleep. She kicked off the comforter, sat up, and stretched out her back before shuffling over to the door and sneaking out into the hallway. The mutant made it to the kitchen and put on a cup of coffee. It took a few minutes to brew, but once finished, she picked up the mug and walked over to the enormous glass windows by the opposite wall. The view was magnificent. Reyna looked out onto the peaceful grounds, the dense forest surrounding it, and the lazy river carving a wound in the green. On the other bank, she spotted a huge moose trotting out into the murky water to drink, with two smaller ones following close behind. Probably a cow and her yearlings. Reyna smiled. What a life. She looked up at the sky. To her, it looked like someone had thrown a black fabric over the earth and poked holes in it, letting the sunlight through. Reyna remembered when, a few weeks ago, Wanda had taken her up to the roof one night to show her the constellations. She could never figure out how the philosophers of old could see all the different pictures in the sky. Then again, she didn't have the best imagination. Reyna took a sip of her coffee. It was Tony who had introduced her to the beverage. She had started out despising the bitter taste, but somehow, she had grown rather fond of it. Though she could never drink it black.

"That is a sight one could get used to." Loki's voice cut through the peaceful silence. Reyna didn't turn around. She hadn't bothered putting on pants, so she stood there in only a band t-shirt she'd stolen from Tony that barely covered her.

"Take it all in," Reyna retorted dryly. Far too many people had seen her more or less naked. Why should she care that one more soul is on that list? She didn't have any shame left when it came to such.

"So, what is the lady doing half-naked in the kitchen at 2.30 in the morning?" Loki asked.

"Loki, what have I told you about calling me lady?" Reyna reminded him.

"My apologies. Let me rephrase: What is the Raven doing half-naked in the kitchen at 2.30 in the morning?" Loki's tone turned teasing.

"Good boy," she praised in the same tone before her mask fell and she sighed. "I can't shake the feeling that we will be like horses at an auction tomorrow." Reyna somehow answered his question without actually answering it. Loki walked up to her, placing himself to her right.

"Then you'll be the purebred mare that the bidders will pay millions for, while I'll be the slaughter horse that nobody will lay a penny on," he scoffed. Reyna glanced at the god through the corner of her eye. The cool light from the moon made his pale skin, if possible, even paler and made it glitter like stardust. She had noticed this before, but the moon seemed to enhance it. His sharp features had contorted into a bitter scold with self-loathing rolling off him in waves. That particular feeling came from him frequently, and with no apparent reason, but she had often found herself absentmindedly soothing it whenever she came across it. Even with the scold, he was truly enchanting, inside and out, and Reyna caught herself wishing to see beyond the masks. Both the magical ones and the physical ones.