Chapter 4 ~ Settling in

Recap:

"Alright, fine, but if he decides to try anything, I'm personally sending him back to Asgard, and he is keeping some kind of limiters on at all times," he decided, pointing at Thor.

"Deal"

Two days after their arrival, Hilde was forced to leave for Asgård again, having to return to her duties as commander. Loki opted to stay in the room they gave him after that. The team didn't want him around, so why bother trying to immerse himself. With nothing better to do, he spent his time exploring how much magic he could use with the limiters and grew increasingly frustrated over how little they allowed him to use. The team was slowly becoming very salty over the fact that they couldn't get anything out of Wanda about Loki's memories. She was generous with her death glares to those who dared even mention them, and Sam had learned the hard way not to bug her about it; he had ended up stuck in the ceiling for almost four hours and acted as a very efficient warning for the rest of them. Four days went by before Loki dared to venture out of his room, only driven by the growling pit that was his empty stomach, but since no one had bothered with an official tour, he soon became horribly lost.

"Can I assist you with anything, sir?" came an artificial woman's voice from the ceiling after a while of aimless wandering. Loki jumped at the sudden noise, trying to locate its source. Nobody had taken the time to explain to him how the compound's AI worked or that she even existed.

"Who goes there?" He demanded.

"Very sorry for scaring you, sir. My name is FRIDAY. I am a virtual artificial intelligence that Mr. Stark has created. I'm here to assist you and everyone authorized in the building with anything they might need. Now could I be of any assistance to you today?" FRIDAY explained in her monotone voice.

"Alright. Could you show me the way to the kitchen area, Lady FRIDAY?" Loki asked, still wary of the voice in the ceiling. This kind of technology was still foreign to him after all.

"Right away, sir," FRIDAY obliged politely as parts of the floor lit up to show him the way. Once he found the kitchen and thanked FRIDAY, he walked into the room as if he had never been lost in the first place. Wanda was already there, eating an assortment of nuts she had in a bowl on the counter beside her and reading a thick book. She acknowledged him with a smile and a nod, which he returned. Seeing his slightly lost look, she pointed to a large metal rectangle in one corner. Loki raised an eyebrow. How was a large metal box supposed to provide something to eat?

"It's the fridge where we keep our food," Wanda explained before returning to her book. Loki went over to said fridge and opened it. Rummaging through it, he found something that looked at least edible: sandwiches. He grabbed a few and went to sit opposite Wanda at the table. He bit into one of his sandwiches as he took out the book he brought and began silently reading it.

"Can't you summon anything you need?" Wanda asked after a few minutes of silence, looking up from her book and putting some cashews in her mouth. Loki just held up his right arm without looking up from his page, indicating to the limiters that repressed Loki's magic to almost nothing. They looked like simple steel armbands placed under his elbow on each arm. Tony and Bruce had made them together with some help from Thor and designed the bands so they could easily change how much of his magic Loki could use at any given moment. The metal bands could also give out strong, electric shocks if he did anything the team deemed out of line, which was almost anything. Wanda was disgusted at the mere mention of the bands. She hated them, and she had made it known.