Chapter 31 ~ The mare

⚠️

Recap:

"Loki, what in Odin's name is this?" Thor boomed.

Thor shot up from his bed. Had Loki actually used that curse? He had never heard his brother use it. Something horrible must have happened. The thunder god picked up his hammer and quickly, but quietly, rushed to find his brother. When Thor finally found Loki, the sight he met froze him to the floor. Reyna stood topless with her back to the trickster, who traced scars along her back. Reyna had scars. They had not been there mere hours ago. Thor stood frozen for a few seconds before Loki spoke up.

"101." What the hell did he mean by that? Reyna seemed just as confused.

"101 lashes on your back alone." Thor saw red. Sensibility flew out the window as he marched up to the pair.

"What in Odin's name is this?" He boomed, startling them both. Thor didn't care. All he cared about was that Reyna was in danger.

That all-too-familiar booming voice startled Loki far more than he cared to admit. Reyna's gaze flew to Thor with a terrified expression that Loki would recognize anywhere; his brother had seen something he was not supposed to see, something she was not ready for him to see. Reyna's second skin was back in place within the blink of an eye, but the damage was already done. Loki automatically stepped in front of her, acting as a living shield. He summoned a shirt and handed it to the mutant, but she wouldn't take it, too afraid to react.

"Thor, I have done nothing to harm the Lady. Can you, for one second, not be a witless oaf and see reason," Loki pleaded, backing away from his raging brother while herding Reyna behind him to protect her. The terrified woman could not care less about her bare chest as she clung onto Loki for dear life. Loki, however, did care and tried desperately to cover her up with his body until she would take the shirt he offered her. Thor could only see Loki trying to hide the evidence against him and only grew angrier.

"Lady, step away from my brother," Thor growled to Reyna, eyes still tracking Loki. Her eyes went wide. Every reflex in her body screamed at her to do as told, but she fought against them with everything she had.

"No, Thor. I swear he hasn't done any-"

"Now." This time Thor's voice did not leave any room for protest. Reyna's head lowered instantly. There was no way she could fight the crown prince's demand. She released her vise grip on Loki and took three steps away from him. Loki first looked after Reyna with shock. Then his gaze fell on Thor again, forced to defend himself first.

"By the Norns, cover yourself, woman. Now, brother, care to explain why I first hear you swearing by my death, and then when I arrive, Reyna suddenly is covered head to toe in scars?" Thor directed his snarl to Loki this time, still stalking closer as Reyna frantically tried to contain her magic and fear to obey his command.

"Thor, I swear, I have not harmed her. I found her standing here, and we discussed the coming morning. She showed me the scars from the Palace. I cursed in reaction to them. I'm sorry I swore by your death, but can you blame me? They are awful. Then you barged in. Stop this. You're terrifying her," Loki rambled. He realized too late that Thor had backed him against the glass window, leaving him nowhere to go.

"Then how do you explain her lack of scars mere hours ago?" Thor pressed on, placing Mjölnir against Loki's chest and pushing, pressing Loki flush against the groaning window. Reyna finally managed to get a shirt on and, in the meantime, calmed down a bit. She looked over at the brothers and realized that Thor would drive Loki through the window if she didn't stop him. Reyna forced herself to act.