Chapter 5 ~ Brother against brother

Recap:

"Let's dance, shall we, brother?"

"It would be my pleasure."

Wanda took Tony's arm and led him to the wall. She, before him, concluded that one did not want to be within a 5-meter radius of the brothers' fighting. He just looked at her. Tony did not like the idea of Loki having full range of his powers, not one bit. His finger was hovering over the button that would trigger the shocker in the armbands just in case. Wanda frowned at him when she saw it and swatted his hand.

The two brothers started circling the other, Thor with Mjölnir in hand and Loki with his daggers. Then Thor bolted forward, trying to hit Loki square in the chest, but the trickster, ever graceful, just twirled out of the way and began his own attack, sending Thor into the defensive.

As the fight progressed, they became a bit of a blur: Loki's swift and graceful parries, swipes and tricks, and Thor's head on and heavy attacks, swings, and blows seemed to melt together. They had been training together for almost a millennium, and it showed; they countered each other's blows, swiped at weaknesses invisible to everyone else, and saw through the other's feints within the blink of an eye. One could tell just by looking at these two brothers that they are way above the fighting and skill level of the rest of the Avengers. The exception would maybe be Natasha and Bucky. Wanda and Tony could only look on in intimidated wonder at the two brawling brothers.

On more than one occasion, one or two team members came running into the training room, thinking Loki had gotten loose. Wanda and Tony had to explain that everything was under control, and it was just a friendly spar between brothers, even if it looked a lot like a fight to the death for the rest of them. Clint and Nat had been the first to come rushing into the gym after they heard grunts and metal clanging coming from the room.

"What in the actual hell is going on?" Clint had called out. He rushed towards the two gods to aid Thor, only to be held back by Wanda.

"They are just sparring. No need to panic," Wanda calmly explained as she released Clint from her grip.

"They are good. There is no doubting that," Nat said as she crossed her arms and leaned against the wall next to Wanda. "I think it would be rather fun to go at Loki one on one sometime. He's not as brutish as Thor."

As the fight continued, more and more people came into the gym to watch the sparring match. The three ex-assassins of the group stood to the side and discussed strategies and tactics while Bruce and Tony tried to figure out the science behind Loki's tricks, and some of the others just looked at them with wide eyes.

After about three hours of intense fighting, Thor made one itty bitty mistake that Loki instantly used to his advantage. He swiftly brought himself around his brother, placing a dagger by Thor's throat and the other at the base of his spine to prevent him from moving. Before Thor could open his mouth to call out defeat, Loki cried out and dropped his daggers, accidentally cutting Thor right beside his carotid artery as he seized. The gash immediately started to bleed way too much for comfort. Thor automatically placed a hand over it to try and halt the bleeding as he turned to see what had happened to his brother to make him react so. Loki had ended up on the floor, not being able to move because of the shocks that pulsated through his body.

Tony had deemed it out of line when Loki had placed a dagger against Thor's throat, pressed the shock button, and had yet to let go of it. Wanda's eyes came ablaze as she jerked the tablet out of Tony's hand and threw him across the room. Bruce ran up to Thor with a first aid kit he had brought with him when he had gotten a word of the fight and began to fix his cut. Bucky walked over to the still panting god to see if he was okay. The former soldier almost had a small flashback of the many times HYDRA wiped him when Tony set off the tazers. Loki waved off his concern, saying that he was fine even if his muscles were still twitching in some places.

"What was that good for?" Wanda yelled at Tony.

"He held a knife to Thor's throat. You think that I'm just going to let Loki kill him?" Tony yelled back, groaning as he tried to stand.

"Did you seriously think that he would try and kill me, Stark?" Thor demanded from where he was.

"Like he hasn't tried before," Clint answered, defending Tony's choice and earning a glare from Natasha. She was this close to throwing him into a wall but settled on whacking him over the head to at least shut him up.

"This was a friendly spar. It is very different from a real duel," Thor countered.

"He is right. If Loki wanted to kill him, he would have just slit his throat then and there, but he didn't. Loki was waiting for Thor to tap out," Bucky said as he helped Loki to his feet.

"Did you see the look in his eye? He wanted to kill him," Tony argued as he threw his arms out.

"That was mischief, not malice. You're mixing up the two," Nat clarified from where she stood.

"Are we seriously alone in this? Fine, whatever, but you can't blame me for not trusting him, and now that this match is over, the limiters are back in place," he relented before storming out, forcing Loki to accommodate as the void of magic in his body resettled. He looked over to Thor, whose glare followed the genius.

"Brother, I didn't hurt you too badly, did I?" Loki asked, still slightly out of breath. Bucky had reluctantly let go of him after Loki insisted that he was fine and walked over to stand beside Steve again. Nat could have sworn she saw the two take each other's hands briefly before they realized where they were and smirked to herself.

"Of course, not Loki, 'tis but a scratch, and congratulations to the victory, though I am afraid I will not live down the pestering about my defeat. But enough about me, are you alright?" Thor chuckled as he walked over and patted Loki on the back, making him lose his balance slightly.

"Maybe it will be a nice change to all the boasting of your victories? And I'm fine. It was nothing to the bolts you used to send my way when I played a particularly bad prank when we were children," Loki teased.

"I'll talk to Stark about the limiters," Wanda decided as she placed a hand on his shoulder, having calmed significantly since her outburst. She was still furious at Tony, but not enough to throw someone across the room again.

"And I will be joining her," Bruce muttered as he walked past, pulling Wanda with him. The two brothers started to follow them when Steve stopped the younger.

"Congrats on the victory, Loki," he said with a small smile.

"Thank you, Captain," Loki responded with a slight nod of appreciation.

"Maybe you and I could go at it sometime. Trade technics and moves, perhaps, you are relatively good for an a thousand-year-old man," Nat teased with a wink.

"It would be my pleasure to, what was the phrase, hand your ass to you," Loki quipped back as he raised an eyebrow, only barely able to keep his beaming pride from his expression.

"Oh, we'll see about that last part, Mr. Cocky." She smirked before leaving the room with a slightly sour Clint in tow. Loki genuinely smiled as he looked after the two ex-assassins before Thor nudged him, and they began walking together to their rooms.

Maybe, just maybe, he could finally be a part of something. Something bigger than himself.