Chapter 40 ~ New places, new people

Recap:

"Good morning, class. Great, everyone's here. I'm going to take attendance, and then we'll start talking about the Greek pantheon."

Suddenly, two weeks had gone by since Reyna and Peter left the compound, and Reyna had grown accustomed to her new situation. That Monday, when she first stepped through the doors, she had entered a whole new world, one she could have lived in if it hadn't been for the Matron's greed. The mutant knew better than to dwell on the past, but she couldn't help reminiscing about a life that could have been. She had gotten to know Ned Leeds and Michelle Jones, or MJ, Peter's best friend and girlfriend, even if none of them knew who she really was. Reyna really liked MJ. She was cool and always had killer one-liners, while Ned had a tendency to talk until his vocal cords gave out. Thankfully, Flash hadn't bothered them the whole time. Not that he dared. Each time Reyna caught him harassing girls, she sent him running and made sure that the girls were okay afterward. Not even a week after her arrival, Reyna had reduced the bullying to a standstill since no one dared to cross her. She hadn't even had the need to raise a finger to any of them, her silver tongue cutting down bullies left and right; something the teachers became incredibly grateful for, even if most of them didn't approve of her methods and were kind of scared of crossing her too. She had, once again, become a haven for the girls around her, which she was incredibly proud of. It was Friday, and Peter had decided to bring their little quartet on an adventure to one of his favorite places, a patch of forest that ended in a cliff looking over the Long Island Sound. It would just be for the afternoon because of the steadily declining temperatures that came with the late New York November, but Peter was determined to make it memorable. This little trip had been planned for a few days already, so when the bell rang out that afternoon, they could simply go to their lockers and take out their already-prepared bags. They met up by the doors before hopping on the bus that would take them out of town. An hour or so later, they arrived at their stop a few kilometers from the little campsite. The rest of the journey had to be made on foot. Soon enough, after about half an hour of forest road navigation and hill-climbing, the four friends reached their goal; a small patch of trampled grass with four half logs in a U-shape and a ring of stones acting as a firepit in the middle of it all. To the left stood a small shed filled with firewood to supply it. The view was breathtaking. The fireplace looked out over a grand cliff that dived 20 meters straight into the water of the Long Island Sound, which stretched for miles before meeting land on the other side.

"This is it?" Ned breathed.

"Yep. Aunt May always took us camping here during the summers when I was little, but it's just as amazing now. I don't think I'll ever grow tired of this place," Peter explained as he placed his backpack on one of the log seats and started unpacking.

"I can see that," MJ agreed, looking out over the water. It was still an hour or so until the sun would set, but the cold had already started to set in.

"I'll try to start a fire before I freeze to death," Reyna announced. She moved to the shed and picked out a few sizeable pieces and some fire starters. The rest took out blankets, snacks, drinks, and other stuff they would need during the evening while Reyna got to work making a fire. Thankfully, there was not much wind, and soon a crackling fire was warming the little group. Peter had brought a speaker with him that he set up on one log. He had made a playlist specifically for this trip two days prior that he was most proud of. It consisted of calm tunes, with some sing-alongs sprinkled on top. MJ and Ned brought hot dogs with all the different toppings imaginable, marshmallows, and drinks. This was an evening that would consist of food, talk, and fun. Reyna was still unsure if MJ and Ned knew who she really was. She had decided to make it a little game to see how long it took for them to figure it out. Reyna and Peter had even made a bet on how long it would take. Ned was oblivious to most things, so she wasn't too worried about him, but MJ was a completely different league to the boys. She was smart and had figured out, all on her own, that Peter was Spider-Man just a few weeks ago, which had greatly concerned Peter to the point where he had come to Reyna for help with the situation. She would probably find out tonight if one or both of them had figured it out. Soon enough, they all settled under the blankets, MJ and Peter cuddling up under one while Ned and Reyna had one each.