Chapter 36 ~ Trespassing

⚠️

Recap:

"There is nothing we can do to hinder this, brother."

Wanda moved forward. She squirmed a bit when she saw the hole going straight into Reyna's thigh, but she hovered a hand over it and searched for the bullet, nonetheless. There it sat, almost 15 centimeters into the flesh. Carefully, she let a red tendril sink into the hole, grab on, and drag it out. Wanda was careful not to touch it herself as she placed it on some napkins on the table next to them. By now, most had forgotten about their diverse miseries, too focused on the events playing out while cradling coffee mugs or tubs of ice cream. A few seconds later, Bruce came back with a medical kit and some gloves. Reyna turned her pants into some shorts to give the doctor better access. He didn't waste a second getting to work on the wound. He checked that nothing vital was damaged before he started sowing it shut after the woman had waved off any numbing he offered her. Reyna realized this was the first time someone had actually tended to one of her injuries. The Palace just tossed her back into her cell to either let her die or let the wounds become scars that would never be seen, anyway.

"Reyna, it disappeared again." Bruce's concerned voice brought her out of her head.

"Right, sorry," she apologized and regained her focus on the wound. The mutant was still cursing herself for being so goddamn stupid. How the hell do you forget that you have been shot? Clearly, she had found a way. There was not much she could do about it now. A few minutes went by in complete silence as Bruce worked before he finally tied the last stitch and stood up.

"That should do it. It'll heal just fine. Just keep it clean," Banner directed.

"I will. Thank you, Bruce." Reyna stood up and moved to leave the room, but Vision hindered her again.

"So, wounds disappear without your knowledge, and you have to concentrate for them to become visible. Tell me. Does this cover your whole body, or is it just fresh wounds?" He asked her. Reyna opened her mouth to answer, but Wanda cut her off.

"The memory she showed us," she remembered. Shit. Wanda was onto her, too.

"Precisely. What happened to the scars from that beating, Reyna?" Vision pinned her in place, leaving her nowhere to go. This time Bucky stepped in.

"She already told us that they healed as a part of her mutation. What more do you want?" He knew Reyna wasn't ready to show the team yet. It felt so horribly wrong that they were forcing the vulnerability from her.

"Sargent Barnes, even with your accelerated healing, you have scars. Captain Rogers has them. It is physically impossible for Reyna to have gone through that amount of torture without a single scar. Surely you would know that." Vision shut down Bucky's protest fast and effectively before turning to Reyna again. "It's time to show us."

"Vis-" Reyna shook her head. She looked like a terrified animal forced into a corner with nowhere to go. They had all seen how she reacts in situations like this. It was only a matter of time...

"Reyna, you will have to show us eventually. Let's get it over with. Nobody here is going to hurt or judge you." He sure was determined.

"If she doesn't want to show you, don't force her," Loki protested. Reyna sighed. The sole thing she wanted was to run, but they would catch her before she made the hallway. The scared mutant realized the only way to get out of there was to show them...

"Loki, there is nothing we can do to stop it." Reyna's voice was steady, calm like the ocean unlike the dangerously deceitful current waging war beneath the surface. Loki was once again astounded by her ability to keep her cool, even in the most stressful situations. Reyna drew a ragged breath and met Vision's gaze with determination. She slowly took off her shirt and let it fall to the floor, leaving her in just a bra and short shorts.