Chapter 46 ~ A new dawn

Recap:

"I suppose you can. Who knows? Maybe I'll learn something about myself," Reyna agreed as she picked up the book on sirenic magic.

The Avengers sat assembled in the living room of the compound, trying to make any sense of the 14 words written on the small card Steve had found in his pocket. The Aesir brothers were not with them, however. They had been called to Asgård by their father for a report of progress, as they called it, a few days prior.

"Did you see what they looked like?" Natasha asked from her couch. Steve looked up from his hands, too gone in his own thoughts to make sense of her question.

"Who?"

"The person who slipped you the paper," the assassin clarified irritably, rolling her eyes. The team had already been at it for almost an hour, and they were all close to their limit.

"Of course not, then we wouldn't be sitting here," Steve grumbled, burying his face in his hands again and attempting to brute force an answer from his brain.

"Did anyone bump into you or anything like that?" Bruce asked.

"Wasn't there a chick who ran straight into you when we left Barnes and Nobles, right by Union Square?" Sam remembered. Steve lit up in recognition.

"Yeah, short, really tanned, brown hair?"

"That's the one," Sam confirmed with a smile growing on his features.

"It must have been her then," Natasha decided with an almost enthusiastic tone. What were her motives? Was the placement an accident? Was she an agent from HYDRA trying to lure them into a trap? Loud discussions and theories sent the room into chaos.

"Guys," Tony called out from his couch a few minutes later. He had sat hunched over the newest Stark phone, scrolling through feed after feed and ignoring his teammates, when he suddenly found something peculiar. The room quieted instantly, and everyone turned to Stark.

"Did you find something?" Steve asked. Tony smirked. Boy, had he found something.

"Instagram, Twitter, and all the other platforms have blown up with pictures of a girl going around lower Manhattan with a raven on her shoulder. She matches your description, but that's not even the best part..." Ever the drama queen, Tony paused for dramatic effect and stood up.

"What is it then?" Bruce asked, putting on his glasses. The billionaire held up a "hold on, I'm getting there"-finger while he pressed a few buttons. Tony clicked on his phone one last time, and a hologram of a young woman with a giant raven on her shoulder appeared out of thin air.

"The raven has yellow eyes. Sounds a lot like someone we know, doesn't it?" he announced, very smug with himself. They all looked at it for several moments before anyone said anything. The woman matched Steve's description of her to the t with chest-length, chocolate brown hair, eyes, and a deep tan. The raven on her shoulder was massive compared to the girl's lean frame or any other raven you would see in NYC. What made it stand out, though, was the bright yellow color of its eyes. Precisely the same shade as their dear mutant's.

"Reyna did this? Why? She hasn't been very keen on talking to us for, I don't know, the last month," Sam pointed out, waving a hand around before resettling it across his chest.

"Maybe this is her way of initiating contact again," Clint suggested.

"It still doesn't explain the riddle," Nat commented, bringing her feet closer to her body and stretching out her back before relaxing again.