Chapter 33 ~ The afterparty

Recap:

"Welcome to the circus," Clint muttered with a smile.

Reyna sat on a stool in front of a makeup table inside her room, looking past her reflection in the mirror, spaced out completely. The team had arrived at the compound half an hour earlier, and Reyna had gone straight to her room with directions from Tony to get ready for the afterparty. She'd sat down on the chair to unbraid her hair and do her makeup, but hadn't come any further. Loki, who had cleaned up and put on a perfectly tailored, black, three-piece suit, knocked on Reyna's door. When he didn't get a response, he cracked open the door and saw Reyna on the opposite side of the room. Loki called out her name, but he received no answer. He called out again, but there was still no reaction from Reyna. Now he was worried. Why wasn't she answering him? The raven-haired god marched up to the woman and placed a hand on her shoulder to get her attention. A mistake. Before he even had time to blink, Reyna had flown out of her seat and had him pinned against the wall with her Stygian sword pressed against his throat. Her eyes were as black as her sword, and her colorless face held a down-right terrifying expression.

"I will not be one of your little whores to be used as a bargaining chip," she snarled.

"Reyna, what are you talking about? It's me, Loki," he pleaded with her, but the sharp edge pressed harder against his throat. He searched the void that was her eyes, only to realize Reyna wasn't there. She was somewhere else in a different time.

"Punish me all you fucking want. If I'm lucky, I won't come back from it." Her hatred and disgust for the person in her memory filled her voice and words to the brim. Loki pressed his hands against the sides of her head, forcing parts of his consciousness into her mind, only to be stopped by her god-forsaken barriers. He cursed. The trickster had forgotten about the wards around her mind that now rendered him helpless. He had to remember to have her create a wormhole for him if this were to continue. Reyna opened her mouth to say something else, but instead, she inhaled sharply, and her eyes cleared as she jerked back to reality. When her mind returned, her fleeting gaze tried to orientate her body in the new environment. It focused on the man in front of her, then the sword pressed against his throat. She jolted back with such velocity that she fell over and landed flat on her ass, letting the sword clatter to the ground as she stared at it, terrified. Loki drew a ragged breath, placing a hand against the cut left by the blade and thereby healing it. When he felt the slit disappear, Loki focused on the trembling woman at his feet.

"Darling, are you alright?" Loki made his words as soft as possible, but Reyna flinched anyway. She was terrified, not of him or the memory, but of herself and her actions. What would have happened if she hadn't snapped out of the flashback at that moment? The answer hit her like a brick.

"I could have killed you," she whispered as she brought her knees up to her chin, hugging them as close as she could. Loki crouched and sat down next to her.

"It's not your fault, witchling. You can't control these visions nor your actions during them," Loki reassured the woman, careful not to touch her. He knew better by now. Reyna looked up at the god with a haunted look in her eyes.

"I'm terrified, Loki. I don't want to hurt you or anyone else just because I lose control," Reyna confessed her fears as a lone tear trailed down her right cheek.