Chapter 10 ~ Free the beast

Recap:

"Sweet dreams, little minx," he bid her before she slumped to the floor, blacking out.

At 6 AM the next day, FRIDAY announced that everyone "needed to get their ass up and be at the meeting room in 10 minutes." So, everybody dragged themselves out of bed and made their way to the meeting room.

"So, how did it go?" Steve asked when he entered the room.

"Eh, well enough. Didn't have to fight our way out, at least," Tony shrugged while typing on a laptop. He stood at the front of the room, pulling up holograms of what they found.

"Pardon?" Thor said from his seat.

"The mutant girl has the ability to create illusions that even I can't see through and can take complete control of one's body. It is not a calling as they suggested, but a complete and utter loss of control over your body," Loki explained to his brother, who looked intrigued and slightly concerned by this new information.

"And she did it to Reindeer Games. The footage is from the performances yesterday. The last one is the one of the mutant's show." Tony brought back everyone's attention to the front of the room.

Video after video went by of young girls dancing to Disney tracks. When the last video came on, everybody sat enthralled by the magic and her voice. Then the camera turned to Loki's character, who was sitting on the opposite side of their table. He was slowly standing from his chair. His eyes glazed over as he moved, and when the camera turned to the mutant again, she was looking at Loki with confusion and curiosity sparkling in her brilliant eyes. She then threw a glance at Nat and Tony before going back to her performance just as quickly. They started to move, and soon, the recording stopped.

"She saw us, presumably told her superiors, and is now probably being moved to god knows where," Nat summarized.

"And how are we going to find her?" Sam asked.

"I have a plan," she began.

Where the hell am I?

When Peitho woke up, she found that they had put her in the same position she always woke up in, though her vision was blocked by what she could only assume to be a full-face mask. The muzzle attached to it was just as uncomfortable as her usual one. Breathing took some effort, but she'd get by. She would sit there until someone came and got her, so she let out a huff of air and tried to relax as much as she could, trying to go back to sleep. But her peace didn't last long. Her eyes shot open as the strong vibrations of an explosion went through the concrete of her cell. Dust and small concrete pieces from the ceiling fell on her back, arms, and head. Shouting and heavy footsteps, together with the low sounds of explosions and artillery fire, came from above her cell. She couldn't be bothered. Some experiments got loose? Not her problem. Someone coming to kill her? Great. The possibility that someone was trying to liberate her and the other prisoners didn't even cross her mind. In the cruel world of the Palace, people like that didn't exist. As she settled back down, trying to ignore everything going on, gunshots went off just outside her cell. She stayed still, waiting, and soon the sound of the heavy metal door smashing into the floor followed.

Trying to sneak in had gone out the window almost immediately. Instead, the team was fighting agents and guards left and right, trying not to get shot. Thor and Loki had gotten the job of keeping reinforcements from endangering their teammates further while Vision, Sam, and Rhodey flew above, keeping an aerial view and shooting down any stragglers that the brothers missed. Steve and Bucky searched through the floors above ground, going after the matriarch herself. Any files or information they found were just a bonus, though they had little success on that front. Nat, Clint, Tony, and Wanda were punching their way down to the holding cells and labs. The four of them decided to split up after they had cleared the first story. Tony and Nat continued downwards to find the basement while Clint and Wanda got to work getting all the experiments out of their cells and restraints.