Chapter 24 ~ Teacher & apprentice

Recap:

His suspicions were correct because not even a second later, Reyna pounced.

Reyna immediately forced Loki into a defensive position while she went on the offensive. She fought with an unpredictability he had never seen in his many years of training. Not even in Lady Sif's impeccable fighting style.

"You don't think it's a little early to fight me full force?" Loki asked as he blocked a swipe from above. He jabbed, and she deflected. She came at him again, stab, slash, parry, repeat. Reyna got a hit on the hilt of Loki's dagger, sending it flying across the room.

"What? Don't you think you can handle me?" Reyna mocked, thrusting forward, forcing Loki to back up. Her taunting worked. Loki's face grew colder as he summoned a new dagger. Reyna didn't know what flew in her, but it felt so natural to fight like this. Parry, slice, duck. She almost stopped for a moment, shocked by her own skill. Never in her life had she fought with any weapon yet she felt like she had perfected her swordsmanship for years. Loki was upon her again, forcing all her focus back to the fight. He tried to trick her with illusions and feints, but soon realized that they didn't work on Reyna.

"I think I can handle a girl without training," Loki growled when they came toe to toe. Reyna smirked and dropped into a crouch. All his pressure went forward, losing Loki his balance. She spun on her way down, stretched out her leg, and swiped at Loki's legs, sending him to the ground. He tucked and rolled to his feet again. Reyna spun her sword as she stood.

"You do?" She quirked an eyebrow. She jumped straight up when Loki went for her shins. Cutting down forced Loki to use both daggers to stop her momentum. Loki dropped one of his blades, caught it lower, and swiped. Click.

"Við hamri Þórs," Loki cursed when the second sword evaded his attack. He had completely forgotten that her sword split in two. Now he had two hazards to keep watch of instead of one. He spun around, pulling the same trick Reyna had pulled on him. She staggered but stayed standing. Loki tried to deliver a blow to her back while her attention was till elsewhere, but Reyna parried. She hadn't even seen the attack come yet avoided it expertly, shocking Loki and losing him precious seconds. Reyna spun around, eyes blazing, attacking in weak spots Loki had forgotten he had. She moved faster now with more precise movements, forcing Loki to up his input to match her. Thor chose that moment to enter the room.

"Brother, how many times do I have to remind you not to use my hammer as a curse?" Thor complained before he noticed the commotion. "What's the meaning of this?" He boomed and readied his hammer. Reyna didn't let herself get distracted. Loki made a feint and bought himself a look at his brother.

"Just a friendly duel between teacher and apprentice," Loki ducked for a blow.

"He's getting his ass handed to him," Reyna growled, voice slightly darker than usual. Thor gripped his hammer tighter. Clang. Loki had once again tried to attack her when her focus was elsewhere, and Reyna met him halfway. She turned her gaze back to Loki. His eyes widened at the ferocity in her black eyes. In a few expertly made movements, she had not only disarmed Loki but also placed one blade at the back of his neck and the other's point at his throat. Loki raised his hands.

"That's how you humble a god," Reyna whispered as her eyes slowly cleared to the yellow they all knew. She removed the swords from his neck and clicked them together. Both Reyna and Loki were panting like dogs from exhaustion. Reyna had yellow dots sprinkled across her vision and made the wise choice to sit down, her whole body shaking from excursion.

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" Thor asked in awe.

"I didn't know I could fight until, like, 20 minutes ago," Reyna rasped out. Loki was a tad more composed and summoned two water bottles, one for Reyna and one for himself. Reyna took it with shaking hands and a small thank you. Loki had gotten a hard workout from that fight. He had never fought an opponent like her. It was refreshing.