Chapter 32 ~ Welcome to the team

Recap:

"Good night, Reyna."

"Good morning, Reyna," Sam greeted the Latina as she entered the kitchen some hours later.

"Morning, Sam," she returned the greeting. "What are you making?"

"Pain Perdu. It's my titi's recipe from when I was a kid," he explained. Reyna walked up behind him to get a closer look.

"Your titi?" She giggled. Sam gave her an exasperated look.

"Okay. It's my aunt's recipe," he clarified.

"It looks delicious," Reyna commented, trying to keep him talking as she sent out a small puff of smoke to snag a piece of bread Sam had just put on a plate.

"Oh, it is. Whenever my titi announced it was Pain Perdu for breakfast, every kid within a 5-mile radius came running to get a plate. She was the whole town's titi, really," Sam chuckled.

"Mhm, she sounds lovely," Reyna commented as her puff delivered the Pain Perdu to her hand.

"Yeah, she was- hey!" Sam exclaimed when he noticed Reyna taking a bite out of the bread, giggling like a madman. She just sent him a big grin, taking another bite. The falcon shook his head with a chuckle before flipping the bread in the pan.

"Hey, kid. Exited for today?" Steve entered the kitchen just as Reyna sat down on the counter.

"I'm fucking terrified. That's what I am," the mutant admitted, taking another bite and placing the Pain Perdu on a floating plate next to her shoulder.

"First off, language. Second, you'll be fine. Tony and I will introduce you, then you'll just answer some questions. For the rest of the time, you only have to stand there and look pretty while we talk. Nothing to worry about," Steve reassured her, clapping her on the shoulder as he passed her.

"I know I look amazing, but do you have to advertise me as simply another pretty face?"

"We aren't, remember? You'll have a little demonstration towards the end," Sam reminded her. Reyna dug her palms into her eyes, trying to rub away all her problems. Sadly, it didn't work.

"They'll just shout demon the second I go black," she complained.

"Don't worry. We'll be by your side the entire time," Steve reassured her again. "You know what? What do you say we have the demonstration at the party tonight?"

"Ugh. Sam, I going to need another Pain Perdu and a lot of coffee," Reyna groaned. Sam just laughed at her misfortune.

"Coming right up, princess."

A few hours later, Tony, Steve, Natasha, Clint, Thor, and Wanda stood waiting in the living room for Loki and Reyna to join them, all dressed in their battle regalia. Loki arrived second to last in his complete ceremonial armor, minus the helmet. He has slicked his hair back as usual, and the trademark smirk adorned his face. Reyna was the last to show up, only a minute or so before they were to leave. She wore her newly made black armor with Enyo on her hip. She had followed Natasha's tip on hair and makeup: minimal yet memorable. A simple smudged eyeliner in both corners of her eyes to make her eyes pop and a braided crown circled her head while the middle hung loose.

"Sorry, I'm late. The hair didn't want to behave," Reyna apologized.

"Don't worry about it. Let's get going before we are too late," Steve ordered, herding the team into the elevator. Loki sneaked up to her.