Chapter 16 ~ Royalty

Recap:

"Well, that sorted out quickly," Sam commented.

"That it did," Steve confirmed.

Over the next two weeks, everyone took turns teaching the young Latina everything she would need to know about the world and its workings. Reyna, as it turned out, had a brilliant mind for learning. She soaked up every last bit of information given to her, often baffling her tutors with how fast it stuck. On more than one occasion, they found her constructing illusions to recreate scenes from events as they were told to her, for example, WW2 battles from Steve's narrative and myths from her lessons with Thor and Loki. The brothers were delighted to see some of their old memories come alive. Loki did have to correct her a few times with his own illusions, though, but other than that, she was pretty much spot on. Reyna's magic lessons with Loki went relatively smoothly, only having blown up the training room twice. The combat lessons with Nat and Clint, not so much. Reyna's body had not seen much conventional exercise over the last decade and couldn't keep up with the demand now put on it, forcing them to go very slow as they helped her build up new muscle and technique. Natasha, Wanda, and Pepper took her out shopping for a new wardrobe and decorations for her room, letting her see the outside world for the first time since she ended up at the Palace. This led to a lot of confusion and wonder for Reyna and a few lessons on pepper spraying creeps. When they returned, Tony didn't stop complaining about the amount of money they spent on knick-knack, as he called it, for the rest of the day. Reyna was slowly but surely coming out of her shell around the team, and her personality grew, becoming more confident each day. She wasn't as careful anymore. She had already come a long way from where she was when they had rescued her, but there was still a lot of work to do.

One afternoon, while Peter was teaching Reyna how to use the phone that Stark had given her, T'Challa, Shuri, and Okoye stepped out of the elevator. The rest of the team was discussing yesterday's mission on the other side of the room when they noticed the royals and went to greet them. Reyna and Peter didn't even catch the commotion, too busy with theirs. Tony had mentioned that the sibling pair would be joining them for a few days but told Reyna not to think too hard about it. He was nothing to worry about.

"You told me that you had an apprentice living at the compound now?" T'Challa asked Tony, straining his neck to search the room.

"Oh, yeah. Reyna! Come introduce yourself!" Tony called. Reyna jumped a tiny bit and looked up. When her eyes met T'Challa's, her whole body went rigid, don't worry about it, yeah, sure. This man was an active, ruling king, not the mere soldier that Stark had made him out to be. She stood, more composed than she felt, and made her way over to the group, a calm unreadable expression covering her face.

"Hello, Reyna. I'm T'Challa, and this- oh, there is no need to- what is she doing?" T'Challa started the introduction but faltered when Reyna bowed her head and sank to her knees before the three. The team should have expected this reaction from the mutant. They had let her prepare for a warrior, not a king. They realized their mistake as she took her place on the floor, so they didn't stop her. She felt safer doing it, and they wouldn't take that from her. To Reyna, T'Challa's authority and power radiated off him worse than even Steve or Thor's. The shorter girl was a princess, and the last woman was a guard but high-ranking enough to be a king's guard. They were royals and would be met with the upmost respect. Reyna let her magic play and conjured up three of the most beautiful daggers she could muster. They were made entirely out of the king, princess, and guard's essence to match the users perfectly, all traditional Wakandan weaponry she had never seen before. She placed them on a line in front of the three.