Chapter 13 ~ Running amok

⚠️

Recap:

"I remember her, Steve. She almost killed me."

"She tried to kill you?" Steve looked more and more homicidal by the second.

"I think so. It's still a bit hazy- Steve, where are you going?" Bucky looked up to see Steve on the other side of the hallway on his way towards the kitchen, where Reyna and Wanda sat. Bucky rushed after him trying to stop him from doing anything stupid but didn't get there in time before Steve had picked up an utterly terrified-looking Reyna by her neck and had slammed her into a wall.

"Steve, what are you doing?" Wanda shouted at him. She didn't know what to do. Steve never lost his cool like this, ever.

"She tried to kill Bucky," Steve's voice was low and shook with rage as he lifted the girl higher, so she stood on her tip-toes, gasping for air. She was pleading by now for Steve to let her go. The whirling of Bucky's metal arm before Steve was yanked from Reyna and thrown across the room. Reyna fell to the floor, coughing and gasping. She looked up to see who had done it. Her eyes met a silhouette she would never forget. Wanda rushed to her side. Reyna was in a full-blown panic now. How could he be here? Why was he here? Did these people trust him? Wasn't she supposed to be free of that place now? Then that panic turned into an emotion she was never allowed to feel; anger. She stood, completely ignoring Wanda.

"Winter soldier. What is your mission here?" She demanded, switching to her mother tongue as she spoke. He froze. She had heard the mans handler calling him that name when he entered her cell that night all those years ago. He slowly turned around, but she was determined not to back down now.

"I'm no longer the Winter Soldier. I don't have a mission. I'm just making sure this moron doesn't kill you before I know why you tried to kill me," Bucky responded in Portuguese as well, trying to keep calm and collected.

"I tried to kill you. That's what you remember? You were the one sent to rape me!" Reyna growled, still in Portuguese, as she stalked forward. Her body was getting blacker by the second. Bucky backed up at the sight of it.

"Rape you? What the hell are you talking about?" Bucky switched back to English. Wanda had rushed over to Steve to ensure that he didn't make things any messier than it was and told FRIDAY to alert the others if things got out of hand. She decided that she couldn't do much more then and there.

"Don't act like you don't remember. You got the command: 'Put soldiers in her'". You were supposed to breed me like a fucking dog!" Her voice was cold as ice. Tendrils of black smoke were starting to form her back while her eyes slowly became black.

"I don't remember, please. I don't know what happened. I still don't have all my memories from that time," Bucky tried to reason.

"Oh, you don't remember," Reyna mocked, "let me give you some perspective." She raised her left hand. A needle-like tendril circled her forearm up to her hand where it stopped. Her hand flicked forward, and the spike shot forward. Mere centimeters from Bucky's temples, it was intercepted by red jets of light, smashing it to pieces. Both Bucky's and Reyna's heads snapped to Wanda, whose hands were still up. Bucky looked grateful while Reyna looked downright furious.

"Wanda, stay out of this." Black smoke belched out of her mouth as she spoke. Her voice was darker, heavier, and held so much more force in it than before. It seemed to bounce off the walls, echoing and manifesting inside Wanda's mind. A command you could not resist woven into the words. She realized too late what Reyna had done. No effort or power she put in did anything to stop the words from taking control over her body and making her head go blank. The red light extinguished, and her hands went behind her back as she looked down to the ground. Steve tried to snap her out of it, but Wanda could not do anything until Reyna lifted her command.

"Good girl, now where was I?" Reyna's stone-cold, pitch-black eyes found Bucky's terrified, blue ones again as she advanced.

"What did you do to her?" Steve demanded only to be utterly disregarded by Reyna. She had managed to back Bucky into a corner and was slowly getting closer. Once again, smoke trailed her arm, ready to attack. Her hand raised and a ball formed. She made a move to throw it when a hand caught her wrist, brought it around, and pinned it to her back. A long dagger was at her throat before she got time to react.

"Darling, you presumably have a noble purpose for your actions, but I would appreciate it if you would refrain from murdering the soldier." A silky smooth voice spoke right by her ear. She opened her mouth to protest, order, anything, but the dagger at her throat was merely pressed more firmly against her windpipe.

"Don't try it, love. Now release Lady Wanda and give the reasoning behind this rampage. We wouldn't want to have Stark put that collar around your pretty little neck again, now do we?" Loki's voice was as smooth and dark as only an expensive wine could be as he spoke. Reyna's eyes widened at the threat. They retreated to their usual yellow, and her skin lost its black color. She released Wanda with a flick of her free wrist. Wanda gasped as if she hadn't been able to breathe and blinked rapidly, trying to center herself again. Nat, Clint, Sam, Vision, and Tony rushed into the room just a moment later. When FRIDAY had alerted the lot of them that Reyna had run amok, Loki had been the first there since he teleported, and the others couldn't. Vision was at Wanda's side in an instant, steadying her. Nat and Clint checked on Bucky while Sam did the same on Steve.

"Good. Now sit down and explain what happened," Loki removed the dagger from Reyna's throat and gestured towards the couch with it. She hesitated for a second before complying. She walked over to an armchair and sat down, hands in her lap and eyes on the floor. The team sat down around her on sofas, loveseats, and footstools. Tony had FRIDAY tell the rest of the team that hadn't made it to the living room yet to gather there and fast. Everyone needed to know this piece of information. There was a strained silence as they all waited for Rhodes, Thor, and Bruce. When they had all finally settled, Reyna took a deep, shaky breath, straightened her back, and looked up at the people around her.

"I won't be able to tell you what happened that night. What I can do is show it to you," Reyna explained. She looked at Loki in particular. "Contain me if this goes wrong, please."

"You have my word," Loki inclined his head. Reyna nodded and shook her head, trying to brace herself for the memory. Once again, she took a deep breath and steeled her back. She raised a slightly shaky hand to the right side of her head and made a smooth pulling motion. A thin, black string exited her temple, caught it in-between her thumb and middle finger, and pulled the last of it out, her head flinching away from it. She brought the tread in front of her, moving both of her hands in a circle around it. It formed what looked like a round portal of black smoke with an illusion in the middle. As she pushed her hands forward, the picture became bigger and bigger before it stopped in the middle of the group. Reyna looked around one last time.

"It's quite graphic, so you know. Enjoy the show." She closed her eyes and lowered her head, her left palm turned up, and the image began to move.

Word count: 1 331

A/N

Hello! Ohhh, another cliffhanger. I'm really not sorry though. This is fun. ;)

Hope you liked the chapter!

Yours truly

~Ebba Chase