Chapter 17 ~ Show off

Recap:

"I like her. She's smart. It's nice to be around people with that feature. Don't you agree, brother?" Shuri asked her brother innocently.

"You are going to be thedeath of me," the king sighed while the rest laughed at his sister'scomment

"Reyna, concentrate. Otherwise, this won't work," Loki scolded his apprentice after breaking her barrier for the third time. Teaching Reyna how to create secure wards around her mind to stop Loki from entering had been their aim for three sessions now, with mediocre success.

"I'm trying." Again, she imagined brick walls, tall and firm, around her mind. Its sole purpose was to keep others out. Loki's artillery fire came in, smashing against the walls, but Reyna rebuilt them. She was determined not to let him through this time. He tried to climb the wall, only to get shot down by her archers. This was magic she'd never needed. Her strong suit was outwards: penetrating minds, casting illusions, and conjuring. The defense was something she wasn't used to using. The attacks ceased, but she didn't let her guard down just yet. Reyna waited, bracing for the following charge, repairing her walls, and multiplying her defenders. The attack came like a tidal wave, crashing down on her defenses, ripping apart her barrier faster than she could repair it. Then Reyna got an idea. She weaved another barricade from her smoke, quick but careful not to mess it up and damage her sanity. Just as her brick wall gave way to Loki's forces, Reyna put her spell to use, the woven barrier expanding like a soap bubble. When Loki's attack hit the dome, forcing away the smoke covering it, it left a dark, glass-like sphere that shimmered gold. No matter how hard Loki pushed, he could not breach the glass. His attacks got heavier and heavier, but the glass didn't even groan. Once the pressure subsided and her teacher patted her on the shoulder, she left her fortress and stepped back into reality. Loki stood there with a proud smile on his face. Reyna was panting, and her hands shook. The sheer amount of effort used to create the wards had taken its toll on her energy reserves.

"I do not believe I have ever seen a ward like that done by any mages on Asgård or here. How did you create it?" Loki asked, curious, as he handed Reyna a glass of water and a small towel.

"I remembered the myth you told me about Fenrir. Still not believing that you're not the father, by the way, and the silk ribbons that hold him down- What were they called again?"

"Gleipnir?"

"Right. I imagined I weaved Gleipnir into a tight net and threaded commands and shields through it to reinforce it even more. Then the smoke sealed it and created the glass. I think I made it permanent, but we'll have to wait and see," Reyna breathed as she dried her face.

"How is that even possible? Materializing things inside your head should be impossible!" Loki was so stunned by this that he was barely able to speak.

"I don't think they're actually there since that would have blocked my nerves, just their properties, and I didn't want to lose again, so I thought I'd give it a go, and obviously, it worked." Reyna shrugged.

"I suppose we are done with this, then. Can you let people in, or is it permanently closed?"

"Why don't we find out?" Reyna closed her eyes, and she was back in her glass bubble. She looked around. Loki stood on the other side of the barrier, inspecting it. Walking forward until she was just a step away and holding out her hand through the glass, Loki placed his hand in hers, and she pulled him through the rippling barrier, giving him access to her mind. Deciding to try if pushing him out again was an option, she found that it was surprisingly easy. She placed her hand on his chest and pushed out, and he was, once again, exiled from her head. When Reyna opened her eyes again and met Loki's, she noted how close they were standing. The mutant met her teacher's eyes with a bright smile as he looked down at her with a proud one. Then Reyna's excitement burst, and she flung her arms around Loki's neck, giggling like a madman. Loki went stiff, not knowing what to do. After a few moments, however, he tentatively snaked his arms around the woman's tiny waist, hugging her back.