Chapter 42 ~ Consultation

Recap:

"You will figure it out. I know you will," Loki reassured him softly. Sparing a last heart-wrenching glance at Reyna, he left the room and shut the door before the tears could betray him.

It took Reyna almost an hour to calm down enough to face reality again. Peter hadn't known what to do, but as soon as he came close, Reyna had thrown her arms around him and refused to let go. Hugs was something Peter was good at, and he made sure to use all his hugging skills to comfort his friend now. She was everything but okay, but she would at least manage to return to Mr. Brunner's classroom and pretend nothing had happened. Peter offered his hand to help her from the floor, which the mutant gratefully accepted. Once Reyna stood upright again, she managed to adorn her alias again while Peter snaked an arm around her waist to help support her weight.

"Are you ready?" He asked her quietly. A pang of recognition and guilt hit Reyna straight in the chest. Why did her best friend have to be so much like her lover in his manners? She took a deep, shaky breath and looked at him again with a small smile.

"As ready as I'll ever be, Aranho," Reyna answered. She extracted herself from his arms to stand on her own and gestured for him to lead the way. The trip back to the classroom was made in silence, the hallway almost empty around them. They wandered through the maze of corridors until they finally found the classroom they had left an hour earlier. Peter knocked on the door, and the mythology teacher looked up from a bunch of papers he was grading. Once he saw who it was, he smiled softly and rolled over to the door, unlocking and opening it for the two friends.

"That took longer than I expected," he commented warmly. Reyna tried for a smile.

"I'm sorry, sir. We just got some really bad news about my family, and I needed some time to calm down," she apologized, the lie rolling off her tongue with ease even now. Mr. Brunner studied her for a moment while the two went down to the end of the classroom to collect their things.

"Is that really why Loki wanted to talk to you?" He asked finally, making Reyna stop in her tracks.

"What are you talking about? Was that Loki?" She asked with faked concern as she turned around.

"There is no need to lie to me, child. It's not every day that a god decides to visit my students. A Norse god, nonetheless. What was it that he wanted?" The teacher asked again, still as calm and caring as ever. Reyna could simply stare.

"How-?"

"When you have lived for as long as I have, you learn to recognize the gods, even in one of their many disguises," he responded mysteriously.

"Wait, are you that Mr. Brunner, sir? But, no, you can't be. That guy is just a Percy Jackson character. He's fictional," Peter spoke up but corrected himself just as quick, but their teacher had gotten a knowing glint in his eye.

"Maybe I am just fictional, but who's to say that you aren't as well, Peter? You have come to accept the Norse gods. Why should, say, the Greek or the Egyptian ones be any less real?" He inquired with a raised brow.

"You're Chiron, aren't you? The centaur who trained the great heroes of ancient Greece?" Reyna asked, almost in a whisper, not believing her own words.

"You have clear sight, my child. Yes, you are correct. I am Chiron," he confirmed with a warm chuckle. "Now, to get back on topic. What was it that he wanted?"

"I think you will need a bit of context." Reyna forced herself to take a deep breath to quell her shaking hands before they found something sharp to rub against.