Chapter 6

Hyun Bin pushed his long legs to run faster through the hospital hallways. Gong Yoo's call about his dad's condition keeps on replaying on his ears. Suspected to be sudden heart attack? Well a man with his condition must be prone with such illness, Hyun Bin thought to himself.

His mind drifted away to a few seconds before the attack happened, when his dad called him to once again ask Hyun Bin to celebrate his victory along with Gong Yoo at the swimming competition.

To be honest, Hyun Bin was quite tempted to say yes, but with his mom standing right behind him, listening to every words exchanged between Hyun Bin and his dad, Hyun Bin thought it would be best to just reject the invitation coldly.

Please hang on, dad! I'm not ready to lose you once again! Hyun Bin prayed hard.

His steps stopped at once when he found Ye Jin stood in front of the ICU, face damped with tears. Another person who looks a lot like Ye Jin talked with the doctor with worried expression. Hyun Bin wondered if she was his dad's new wife.

Still panting hard, Hyun Bin stared at those tensed faces waiting for some explanation. "I am the patient's son. Please explain to me what happened to my father!"

The doctor glanced at the board on his hand before explaining, "Your dad is suffering from kidney and heart complication."

Hyun Bin lost his balance for a moment, so he seek for support to the wall nearby.

The doctor then continued, "his worsening kidney condition disrupt the main blood vessel which connected to the heart. This is the main cause of the heart attack. And the patient is currently in critical condition.

Ye Jin and her mom hugged each other while crying loudly, just like they have accepted the inevitable end of his dad's life. No! Hyun Bin won't let it happen.

"Please do what's best to save my father, doctor!" he asked urgently.

The doctor stared at Hyun Bin from top to toe before answering, "Actually there's one thing that could significantly improve his chance of bouncing back. It's kidney transplant."

Ye Jin and her mother suddenly yelled on top of each other, "I'm willing to donate one of my kidneys, doctor!", "No! It's better be me, doctor!"

But the doctor turned to Hyun Bin and said, "With the patient's current condition, the best donor is his biological son."

Three pairs of eyes looked at Hyun Bin whose body was now slumped to the floor.  His hands rubbed his face hard as a sign of anxiety.

Ye Jin suddenly knelt in front of Hyun Bin, her hands gripped his stepbrother's shoulders, "I beg you! Save dad!" she said while shaking Hyun Bin's shoulder.

"I will do anything!  You want me and mom out of your life?  We'll do it!" unconsciously, her fingers squeezed Hyun Bin's shoulders hard.

"Whatever you ask I will do it! But please.... Please save dad!"  she asked between sobs.

"Shut up..!!!!!"  Hyun Bin jerked Ye Jin's hands hard.  His face was now streamed with tears, "You think you're the only one who cares? He's my father too!"

Hyun Bin stood up and looked down at Ye Jin who was still kneeling at his feet with a sneer.  "I don't need a plea from you to save my own dad, you know???"  he snapped hard.