Chapter 43

Standing here, in this majestic Columbarium, Ye Jin wondered what she was really feeling. Her mind felt strangely empty after days filled with confusion, anxiety, and sadness. Her tears had dried up it seemed, crying over fate that constantly tested her.

What's there to cry about in Death? Sadness because of what happened, or regret about things that will never be done again?

Inside the urn in front of her were the cremated ashes of a human who had lived a life of sorrow. For a moment, Ye Jin felt her heart shatter at the thought of so many things they had gone through in life, which made them into human being with all its complexities.

Today, a human had turned to ashes, lifeless, heartless, desireless.

Ye Jin wondered if there was still sadness, anger, and hatred left after death?

Should Ye Jin speak to the ash urn now? Can a dead person hear her words? Understand what she wants to convey?

Ye Jin was never a religious person in the past, but right now she wanted to believe that the human soul would go somewhere once the body was no longer able to accommodate it. Because this is the only way to close a sad episode in her life.

Ye Jin lowered her head to bid farewell to the departed soul. Convey in her heart how she will try to continue life with sincerity. That she has forgiven and will try to forget all the sadness that has happened.

Grief is basically love that you want to convey but cannot possibly be given again. It was this unspoken love that gathered in the corner of the eye, stuck in the throat, and left a gaping hole in the chest.

Grief may actually be a love that doesn't know where to go when the beloved one is gone.

Ye Jin may not have had enough opportunities to get to know her other side that is worthy of love, but Ye Jin believes she will find it if given the chance.

"May you be reborn in a happier world..." whispered Ye Jin ending her prayer.

Gong Yoo touched her shoulder lightly. Her cousin had just finished speaking quietly on his cell phone. Ye Jin wiped away the tear that was running down the corner of her eye before looking up at her cousin, asking what's going on silently.

"Are you done?"  he whispered softly. His hand held Ye Jin's shoulder carefully as if Ye Jin was a dry flower that would fall if the wind blew too hard, "The hospital just called, Hyun Bin has woke up from his coma, he's looking for you now."

***

Faces full of relief surrounded Hyun Bin, but the only face he needed was not around. Doctors and nurses have checked his condition and said that all his vital signs have stabilized. Critical times have passed and his family can breathe a sigh of relief now.