Chapter 18

Hyun Bin's first week at the alcohol addiction center wasn't bad. The green-eyed monster didn't appear as often as it used to after Gong Yoo beat him up so badly. Maybe that's what he really needed in the first place; a hard blow to the head to wake him from his madness.

Apart from the occasional headache, Hyun Bin felt much better than before. His therapist explained that his body needed time to rid itself of the effects of alcohol through detoxification. His psychological condition that brought Hyun Bin into drinking also received attention and treatment at this rehabilitation center. That's why Hyun Bin still has to stay for the next 3 months to really complete his treatment.

Too bad Hyun Sook can't visit him here, Hyun Bin thought. She was the only friend who was allowed to visit him in the hospital before moving to this rehabilitation center. His mother strictly limited his interactions with Ye Jin and Gong Yoo's family, making him feel even lonelier than usual. Hyun Sook could help him overcome his longing for Ye Jin with her information and stories about the girl. It is because of this invaluable and selfless help that Hyun Bin really appreciated his new friendship with Hyun Sook.

"You look much better, Bin" Hyun Bin turned his head in surprise at his father's voice greeting him from behind.

"Appa? Eomma let appa come to visit?"  Hyun Bin looked around looking for his mother who had always been nearby.

"Appa insisted. After all you are appa's son too, your eomma can't keep forbidding appa to see you." His father smiled reassuringly.

Hyun Bin nods in agreement, hoping that his mother won't come suddenly to kick his father out and cause a stir in this quiet place.

"Bin, appa need to talk with you." Hyun Bin's father is sitting beside him now. The park bench they were sitting on overlooks the beautiful artificial pond, but Hyun Bin's focus immediately turned completely to his father to hear the seriousness of his tone.

"Appa already knew why Gong Yoo beat you up a while ago." His father looked at him seriously.

Hyun Bin just lowered his head, not sure how to react because maybe what his father knew was only part of the truth.

"Appa already knew what you have done to Ye Jin." And the bomb was finally dropped.

Hyun Bin looked up at his father briefly, trying to guess if his father would beat him too after knowing what he did now, "I'm sorry, appa.."

"Appa didn't come here to beat you up, Bin. I think your cousin has done enough for us all for that."

'Us'? So now his entire family already knew about what he did to Ye Jin? Hyun Bin rubbed his face hard, feeling sorry and embarrassed.

"Appa came here to ask, is it true that you did it out of revenge for appa's new family?"

Hyun Bin looked up at his father in disbelief, "Bin never thought of that, appa! Everything just happened without Bin planning beforehand!"

"But didn't you hate Ye Jin and her mother before? Why did you suddenly change your mind?" asked his father patiently.

"Appa was right, Bin really hated appa's new wife and step daughter before. For years Bin was obsessed over the happiness you got from leaving our family." Hyun Bin tried to explain with difficulty, "until the first time Bin saw Ye Jin in a swimming competition that time, appa. Bin felt that... Bin fell in love at first sight..."

Hyun Bin and his father avoid to look at each other because of the sudden awkward atmosphere.

"When Bin saw her again at the hospital after the kidney donation, Bin felt that Ye Jin shared the same feelings..." Hyun Bin stares off into the distance, reminiscing about his early interactions with his stepsister.