XIX. hunger

Chapter Status: Edited.

Forty Days.

When I wake up, my prediction from last night is correct; I do regret sleeping in skinny jeans. I slowly climb out of bed, my hair a mess and legs stinging, I walk into my bathroom and lock the door. I grab a towel out of the cupboard and place it on the bathtub before turning the shower on. Like always, it's going to be cold today, so I turn the shower on and wait for it to be hot.

I then strip out of my clothes, red lines, made by my jeans, coat my legs, going up my shins and down my thighs. It hurts to walk; I really must have slept in an awkward angle for this pain to be here. I step in and smile as the warm water hits my skin; I draw the curtain and undo my hair, some pieces being pulled out in the process.

It isn't very bright outside, I can tell by the window, I quickly wash my hair and body and then sit on the floor. I want to shave, but I can't while my legs are like this, but then an idea popped into mind. I graze my hand over my legs and instantly the lines are gone, I smile proudly and then proceed to shave. I want to feel as normal as possible, but there is no way I am going to wait for those lines to go away naturally.

After, when my legs and armpits are smooth and hairless, I just sit on the floor. I let the droplets of water graze across my face and drip off my chin, it is soothing. Sometimes, I just feel like moving back to Sydney, no magic, no fairy tale characters, no death wish, but no Henry. Ever since I moved here my life has been one big mess, regular hospital check-up's, threats, and magic mishaps.

When I was young I always wished I would have magic, but not like this. I wanted to be a beautiful princess with her handsome prince charming that would make her feel special and loved. I would help save lives and be loved by everyone in the kingdom, but those are just stories, the real fairy tales are so much more dangerous.

I wanted to be Cinderella, or Rapunzel, or Snow White, or Sleeping Beauty, but some fairy tales are twisted. When I was 13 and 14 I had this obsession with reading about twisted fairy tales, but I always thought they were fake. But maybe they're realer than I could have ever imagined. I mentally sigh before standing up, my back cracking as I stretch my arms and lean backwards.

I wasn't tired, since we all went to bed way earlier than expected. I turn off the shower and reach out and grab the towel, wrapping it around me and emerging, almost slipping on the white tiles in the process. I wave my hand and a cloud of blue smoke surrounds me, I cough slightly but smile when the smoke disappears and I'm in a new outfit.

I'm wearing my brother's old football club's jumper, black leggings and black vans. My hair is in a high pony tail with strands of hair falling in front of my ears; I grab the wet towel that is on the edge of the bathtub and head out of the bathroom. I jog downstairs and throw the towel in the laundry before walking into the kitchen and opening the pantry.

"Hmm."

I hum as I scan the products in front of me, trying to decide what to have for breakfast. After not finding anything, I decide on just walking down to Granny's for some hot chocolate, I'm not very hungry anyway. I grab a stick it note, and a pen and quickly jot down a note, sticking it on the fridge before grabbing my keys and purse from the table and making my way outside.

It is quite cold today so I shiver slightly as I walk up the street. Barely anyone is out today, the town looking quite dark and abandoned. I cross the street, smiling as I look up at the sunrise, the sky has just settled on a pinkish orange colour with a tint of blue, it's truly stunning. I open the doors and enter Granny's, walking over to the counter and taking a seat on a stray stool.