VIII. to be without magic

Chapter Status: Edited. 

I walk home after my experience at Henry's house, extremely nervous as Mum is going to kill me for going out. At least I covered my arm; I highly doubt Henry is going to say anything about my markings to his mother anyway. I pull my keys out of my bag and place it in the lock and before I can even turn the key the door goes flying open. I take a step back to avoid being hit.

"Tahlia Athena Kennedy! How dare you leave without any of us knowing! You didn't even leave a note!"

I walk past Mum as she screeches at me and head into the kitchen.

"Now you are ignoring me! What if someone kidnapped you? What if we called the sheriff because we don't know where you were?" she rambles.

I grab the note I left on the bench next to the coffee maker.

"I left a note, see," I say, handing it to her.

"Mum, going for a walk don't worry, I have my phone, call me if you need me" she reads, her voice mumbled. "Oh, I see, where did you go?" she asks.

I'm not sure if she's still angry, or embarrassed, but I decide to answer her anyway.

"I went up to a spot you can see the whole town from and then I went for a walk with Henry and then came home" I shrug.

"A BOY? YOU WENT ON A WALK WITH A BOY!?" June yells from the doorway of the kitchen.

I lean to my right to look at her and narrow my eyes.

"Yes, but that's none of your business" I hiss.

She takes a sip of her hot chocolate, recreating the Kermit the Frog meme that she found hilarious when we were younger. She walks back up the stairs and I groan.

"She's never going to live that down, is she?" I ask.

"Nope" Mum replies and I groan again, placing my face in my hands.

"I swear, if she meets a boy, I'm going to tease her forever" I decide, making Mum giggle.

"That reminds me, I got to take the kids to school, it's their first day today" Mum squeals.

They don't want to go to a new school, they don't want to go to school at all. I look up as Caleb and June walk back downstairs in their new school uniform. Caleb wears a white button up, a grey tie, grey pants and black dress shoes, June wearing a white button up, a grey tie, a short grey skirt, black dress shoes and white socks that go up to her knees.

"Very sophisticated," I tease.

Caleb flips me off, making Mum hit the back of his head.

"Go to the car, Tahlia's driving you," Mum demands.

I frown, thinking that she literally just said she was taking them.

"I don't even have my American drivers licence," I argue.

"You still have a license, now go, I don't want them to be late on their first day," she instructs.

The three of us trudge to the car and get in, Caleb sitting shotgun. You probably think I am going to make them late but it is tough enough being new, so I decide to let them off the hook this time. I put the key in the ignition and begin the drive to the school. I roughly know where it is but I'm no expert on this town.

"I think it's down this street," I mumble to myself, not really wanting the other two to hear.

But, with my luck, they do, and they groan loudly.