LIV. to save a life

Chapter Status: Edited. 

The large group walk silently through the night, the only sound being the occasional whimper from one of the boys. Tahlia walks beside Pan, she can hear Jake choking out a small sob every few minutes behind her. She feels incredibly bad for him, her heart aching for the boys who were lost. They arrive at the beach and Pan waves his hand, 9 large crate-like objects appear in front of them. The boys know what to do and, one by one, they each put one of the boys into a crate.

No one speaks, everything is silent, it is like the wind has stopped, the ocean no longer moving. It is as though everything knows what has happened, as though the island is saying goodbye. They were just all so young. Tahlia watches, standing beside Jamie, as Pan pulls out a small jar from a pocket in his pants filled with golden dust. She would recognise that jar anywhere, it is the very same jar with the very same dust that Pan pulled out the very same way to say goodbye to two boys many years ago. Tahlia cannot believe that he would still be doing this after 7 years; she cannot believe that it never runs out.

Pan nods at Jamie as he steps forward, leaving Tahlia alone; wordlessly, Paul walks over to Jamie and together they begin to push the first crate towards the water. It is the oldest of the passed boys, his name was Nate, he was 14. Slowly, one by one, Jamie and Paul push the crates into the water, and each time Pan blows the golden dust into the air, allowing the boys' most treasured memories to fly around us.

When it comes to Jake's brother, Jake cannot bear to say goodbye.

"No, no," Jake sobs, tears falling down his cheeks.

He shakes his head rapidly, not letting go of the crate or his brother.

"Jake, he's gone, you need to let him go," Jamie says softly.

"Wait," Pan says suddenly, "I think I know what can bring him back."

"Y-You can bring him back?" Jake hiccups, looking up at Pan in a mix of desperation and confusion.

Pan nods before turning to look at Tahlia, everyone's eyes dart over to her.

"Tahlia, you're powerful enough to do this."

Tahlia steps back, shaking her head rapidly.

"Tahlia, believe me, you're one of the strongest sorcerers in all of the realms," he explains.

"I don't even have my magic," she points out.

"I didn't tell you this, but you have some still stored inside of you, yes, the magic in the locket Anna has is yours but you still have the ability to access about half of it," he explains.

"But, that means I'm only half as powerful, I'm not strong enough to do it," she states worriedly.

"Tahlia, believe me, you can do it," Pan says, almost begging.

"I- I don't know, what if I can't do it?" Tahlia stutters, looking at Pan worriedly.

"You need to try, you just have to believe," he tells her encouragingly.

Her heart begins to beat faster, nervous, and with all the lost boys looking at her, she does not know if she will be able to do it. She closes her eyes and takes in a deep breath before beginning to walk towards the crate. She looks at Jake and he shakily stands, hope in his eyes. She drops to her knees and looked into the crate at the boy, his skin is black in patches, he is burnt terribly. Tahlia fears that he will be in pain if it works, she does not want him to be hurt. She does not really know what to do, but she knows she has to try something.

She places both of her hands over his heart is and closes her eyes, taking in a deep breath again. She thinks to what her Mum had told her, she is nurse, she has seen things like this happen. Her mother told her that shocks of electricity helps bring them back. She lets electricity leave her and enter his heart, before she knows it, the boys eyes open quickly and he sits up screaming.