LXI. the beach

Chapter Status: Edited.

A scream fills the air as Tahlia's body crashes into the near frozen water below, Anna instantly falling to her knees, screaming in disarray with tears staining her cheeks. Henry cannot move, frozen in shock, he knows about the mermaids, she will be dead in a minute, two at most. It is too late. Tears fall from his eyes as he watches the still water where Tahlia had been only a moment ago. Silence is all they hear, but under the water, it is a different story.

Tahlia holds her breath as the mermaid tries to drag her down. She swings her arms and legs, trying to escape, but nothing is working. She hears another ear-piercing screech, forcing her eyes to glance upwards, her eyes locking with a mermaid swimming swiftly down towards them. In panic, she shoots a spurt of red electricity upwards, making the mermaid scream as she flies out of the water.

Anna gasps, standing quickly "she's alive!"

"We need to get her out of there," Henry panics.

"How? David asks.

They hear leaves rustle and Jamie does not need to turn to know who it is.

"Pan."

"Look who needs me now," his taunting voice echoes as he steps out of the shadows.

The smirk he always wears playing on his lips.

"Please, you need to save her," Anna begs between sobs.

"I'm only doing this for her," he starts, taking off his hood.

"What are you doing?" Jamie frowns as Pan takes off his shoes.

"I'm going in after her," he replies.

"Don't you realise those things might kill you? Isn't there any other way to save her?" Jamie argues.

"Not at this point, once she's in the mermaid's domain the only way to get her out is from under the water," he explains.

Jamie cannot argue, he knows Pan is right; it is the only way to save her.

"Thank you," Anna whispers as Pan walks towards the water.

For only a moment, Pan smiles an honest smile, one of which no one has seen since Tahlia was young. He hurriedly walks over the rocks to where Tahlia had stood before, he does not have long. He takes in a deep breath before diving in after her; and as his body collides with the water, he opens his eyes. He sees her immediately, she barely has her eyes open, struggling to stay alive, too weak to fight for much longer.

The mermaids pinch her skin, slowly making their way to Mermaid's Cove, once there, there is no way of escape. Pan turns as he hears a scream; red eyes and pointed claws are the only thing he sees as he is pushed against one of the larger rocks. He opens his eyes, burning her arms in anger; she screams, hisses and hurriedly swims away. He looks down, they are not far from the cove, rapidly picking up speed. Tahlia's eyes are now closed, he has no more than 30 seconds to save her, but what can he do?

And so, Pan does the only thing he can do, he uses his magic. The mermaids let go of Tahlia as the bright light blinds them; they will not be able to see for a few minutes, and so he quickly swims towards her, grabbing her hand. He feels her weakly squeeze back before he swims upwards. They both gasp for air as they hit the surface, Pan helping Tahlia climb onto a rock. She coughs out water, her arms barely able to hold her up.

"Thank you," she smiles at him, "you're not as bad as I thought."

Pan smiles back for only a moment before claws clutch onto his ankles, piercing into his skin as he is dragged back under. Tahlia screams and tries to grab onto his hand, but instead, she misses and also falls back into the water. Tahlia feels weak, her arms barely moving, it is exactly like high school p.e all over again, but Tahlia cannot think about that. She looks around before she locks eyes with him, they are full of pain and Tahlia can see why.