XXXVIII. threats

Chapter Status: Edited. 

Twenty Days.

Anna.

It's been a long eight days, filled with regular tests and appointments, but Tahlia is finally able to come home this afternoon. Henry and I had been taking turns when visiting Tahlia, only visiting her together after our shifts at work. She insisted she was fine and that we should still work, and although we didn't know how well she really was, we listened to her. The breeze brushes my hair over my shoulders and flows behind me as I walk, my hands snug within the pockets of my black coat. It is unusually chilly, considering it is supposed to be summer here. Yet I never complain, Tahlia and I had always preferred the cold.

"Anna!"

I furrow my eyebrows together, taking out my ear phones and turning around. Nicholas jogs to a stop, panting slightly as he leans forwards and places his hands on his knees.

"Hey, Nicholas, long time no see," I smile.

I have grown to like Nicholas; he often visits me at the library, nearly every day once news had gotten out about Tahlia. He smirks in response and stands up straight, finally catching his breath.

"Anna, could I ask you something?" he questions, almost sounding nervous.

"Sure" I shrug.

"Would you, you know, go out with me tonight?" he questions awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Like a date?" I question cheekily, trying to sound confident despite the hard thumping in my chest.

Nicholas then places his hands in the pockets of his jeans and rocks back and forth slightly.

"Well, yeah, I guess," he replies, looking at me with a large smile.

I pause for a dramatic affect before looking back at him and smiling widely.

"Pick me up at 7?"

Nicholas breaks out a smile, "yeah, oh, and wear something fancy," he winks.

He spins on his heels, walking away, fist pumping the air in celebration. I bite my lip to hold back a laugh and turn around, practically bouncing all the way to the hospital.

"Hey, Erin," I smile, waving at the receptionist.

Erin looks up and smiles in return. "Hey, Anna, why so happy?"

"I, my friend, have a date tonight," I reply.

Erin's blue eyes widen in excitement and she jumps up, leaving her desk and running towards me.

"With who?" she practically demands.

I have also grown quite accustomed to Erin, respecting and finding comfort in her since the first of many times she pushed aside her busy schedule to come make sure Tahlia was okay. Tahlia told me how Erin is actually really nice and funny, and I bonded with her quite easily. She's an easy person to talk too.

"Nicholas Zimmer," I state.

"Oooo, he's cute," Erin teases, bumping her hip against mine.

I look away in embarrassment, "is Tahlia awake?"

"I think so" she says, sitting back in her seat and beginning to type.

"Okay, Dr Whale is given her a few tests, I'm sure he'll let you in. Oh, and where's Henry?"

"He's sleeping in, he was here late last night."

"Poor kid, worried sick about her," Erin shakes her head, looking back down at the computer.