Nine _ Confusion

Nicole

“As much as I’d like to return your beloved teacher OF A PEST the favor, I have to cancel the training tomorrow because of the conference in Berkeley. So you seniors could go home free after that lab test. As for other classes, you’re welcome to free-will training and helping Rod with the trials.”

His announcement was met with some cheerful remarks from the seniors.

And yeah, much to Craig’s disappointment, Coach and Rodriguez, his assistant, had decided to recruit at least one more player as the keeper.

 “Okay, wrap it up, guys. Let’s call it a night.” Only a few complaints followed as it was nearing midnight and we were a little tired. It wasn’t like we were drunk since all we had as drinks were orange juice and blackcurrant cordial courtesy of Rebecca. But it was fun, a lot of fun. Coach had his wife bring the Karaoke set and we spent half of the evening driving away every bird that could’ve been nesting in the trees nearby. But of course, that was only us to who music is only for listening. Pro’s like Tris and Kevin showed off some and let us know they were ready for their regular visits to the Farmsworth soon.

After about 20 minutes of us helping Becky put away the stuff while the rest of the crew got ready to go home, we three were back in the car in the same order as we came. When the headlights were on and we were ready to go, an adorable nasal squeak came from near the window on the side where I was sitting.

I peeked out from the window and looked down to find Coach and Becky’s bundle of joy.

 “Aww, it’s Phillip Phillips himself.” Aaron was a six-year-old walking example of cuteness.

He didn’t blush at my tease. I guessed he’s had his fill, after all the teasing he’d received during and after he sang ‘Home.’

He just huffed, making me chuckle, handed me my phone back, which I’d forgotten this whole time, and trotted back to the compound, which we all laughed at. We watched till he disappeared into the doors and then Jeremy drove out of the parking space while I rested the back of my head onto the seat.

And of course, just I was about to have a quick slumber, the damn phone had to ring. Who the hell was this calling at this hour, I thought, as I sought for the phone where I put it on the seat.

 “Yeah.” Not bothering with the ID, I answered.

 “Hey, it’s me.” it took me a moment to register the voice but as soon as I realized who ‘me’ was, disbelief took over my senses. But of course, it was her. The one that made me realize. The one who ditched me after doing so.

 “Yeah.” I replied, trying to sound as bored as I could.

“It’s me, Maggie.” She stressed. Yeah, like I’d wag my tail and run to … crap, what am I saying, degrading myself. I sighed, finding myself stuttering, internally, again. Then again it wasn’t just anyone. But it’d been, what, over a year? What did she want?

“Yeah.” I said, again as nonchalantly.

“How’s your fiancé?” the moment those words left my mouth, I started beating myself up, internally of course. I didn’t want to give her the impression that I still cared. And I didn’t care, right?

“Yeah.” She paused a little before saying, “We broke up.”

She must’ve thought she’d hear some cheerful tone in my response. So did I. But that was the moment that made sure I was over her. And I was instantly proud of myself for not feeling glad for her mischance.

But I did sit up in the back seat of the car. Just out of curiosity, I asked, ”What happened, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“No, it’s okay. We just realized it would never work out for both of us. So we called off the engagement.”