Eighteen _ For What It's Worth.

Rina

Had I not been before a few dozens of people on the field, I’d be jumping up and down. I had to admit, even though I never expected to make the team, at least as the keeper, I’d felt really happy when I’d saved all of the spot kicks from outside the box.

Okay, it was only two shots but fact of the matter was I’d saved them all! And to top it all off, it was Nicole who’d taken those kicks! Now I got to stand against a shot from the penalty spot. Only one of the seven that’d tried out earlier got this chance. Pretty impressive, eh?

Those joyous waves that’d been riding high died down a little, though, when she came to set the ball on the painted spot. I had this feeling I couldn’t put down in words all the time I knew that she was for the first time, you know, …. engaging(?)  in the same particular activity with me!

Dave always told me if I were to get in front of a goal against a striker, if possible, to keep eye contact with him till he hit the ball. He was the personal trainer Jen had hired for me, when she still could afford it, before her finance got considerably deflated.

Anyway, I tried to do what I’d been taught. Was it hard, though! It wasn’t like she was glaring at me or anything but I didn’t know how to interpret those eyes. So I was the first to break the gaze and looked over her shoulder at the judging crowd of Rod and the senior players.

Out of about seven or eight guys there, my eyes met with Derek’s. And it brought a smile to my lips when he gave me the heads-up, pointing to the right. I did thank him inwardly but just didn’t think the shot would come on that side. According to my instinct, although it wasn’t saying that much, I believed she was gonna shoot straight.

Sensing her take a few steps back, I returned my focus back on her. I changed my stance again because I was taught that often helped disarm the player. But I gotta admit, it didn’t really seem to work on her as she kept our eyes locked. She didn’t even look down at the ball when she hit it.

I was a little unprepared but my decision to stand my ground proved useful ‘cause I was right about her taking a straight shot. I’d heard the sound, which was frightening to my ears, made when the ball was hit. And to my shame, I must admit I didn’t even have time to react.

My eyes caught a fleeting glance of it thundering towards me before a pain shot through my slightly bent right hand and it just had to brush my cheek not too lovingly before finally hitting the net. It didn’t know what hurt most: the pain in my hand and face or the sting on my lips as I bit my lips to block it away, which was by no means working.

I had no recollection as to how I got to squat down on the ground but next thing I knew I was having to brace myself with my other good hand as I lost my balance. In my blurry vision, I found a pair of dark striped cleats right in front of me. And I looked up to find a stunning set of azure blue eyes boring into mine.

“Are you okay?”

“……. ye… yeah.” I tried to get up but couldn’t until she helped me up. I chanced another glance at her face and found concern all over it, making the pain so worth having.