Twelve _ Despicable Me

Nicole

“I thought you’d skip school today.”

Sagging against the wall, I asked and watched her cute butt in those sweat pants as she was half-way into the fridge. By the way, the comment was just a compliment, in case you were wondering.

I was risking it. The way she bounced into the kitchen kind of suggested that chances of her remembering what happened last night were slim. But I had to know.

That kind of change of attitude would’ve buggered me that last night was just a show she’d put on and that she was letting her hair down now when she thought she was alone. But I knew in my guts that those tears were not fake.

She stiffened and stuttered, “Ye.. yeah. I am feeling fine so ..,”

Not good!

“Look, I am sorry. I shouldn’t have changed your clothes but…,” I pushed further with a little sigh.

“No,” she half-shrieked, and turned so suddenly, that it almost startled me.

Soon as she realized her over-reaction, her hand reached her mouth. She shifted a little nervously and studied my face as she started wiping off those crumbs off of her lips. She must’ve expected me to be amused at her state by the look on her face but it was far from it. Though I didn’t look it, I was too nervous and besides the way she looked was too adorable to laugh at.

Looking at her, a ridiculous thought occurred to me as I wondered if that Kin name she’d whispered last night had anything to do with her perfect features, you know Kin resembling some super genius Korean cosmic surgeon and all.

I noticed I was still gawking at her and she was staring at me at the same time so to break the tension, I went to speak. But she beat me to it.

“Umm, ‘cause I knew I was a mess even though I couldn’t remember half a thing that happened last night. So thanks.” Mess? Heh, if only you knew.

And I couldn’t fight off the blush as the image played in my head again. Almost two years without those cheeks getting flushed, and here I was, blushing a million times in the last 8 hours.

“Yeah, that’s right, though. You really were a mess.” I stood up and involuntarily, absent-mindedly, inadvertently… I smiled at her. I started to question myself again but was cut short of it at the smile that lit up her face.

Out of all the girls here in Oakland, she had to be my sister!

I knew I couldn’t stay here another minute without blowing it so without another word, I turned to leave.

“Umm,…” And of course, my feet stopped at that.

“I couldn’t find my under,” she paused, trying to find the right words,”… garments.”. She asked the floor. I couldn’t find the reason to be amused at her cute choice of words as that king-size lump found me again.