49 - Hope Springs Eternal

Rina

"Rea, no. Hey."

Almost in a literal sense my world crashed to a sudden halt, as I found out when I caught up with reality that I was now being held back by the hand by someone.

"I think she's better off alone." My gaze stayed on Liz for a moment's pulse before settling back on that figure - that fast-disappearing retreating back. "At least for now."

Was I actually going after her? I found myself asking that again and again in the minutes that followed. I was aware, in a way, of how Liz got me back in the car, did my seatbelt. I thought I even felt it when the engine started.

But what I was preoccupied with wasn't the current state of reality. It was what'd just happened, and what it meant to my life. With every passing moment, however, I was finding out that it was more than I could take.

A lot more.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Nik

"Here you go."

Her abrupt entrance surprised me more than it should've but I composed myself quickly, turning around to thank her before noticing what she was handing me.

"UGGs? Come on, seriously?"

"Well, somebody forgot to have their thankful juice this morning."

"Well, somebody wouldn't have if nurses wore actual footwear or even if a pair of socks happened to come along too, you kno--"

"You're an assholel. Anyone ever told you that?"

"No one has to." We both chuckled as I finally grabbed the boots from her and put them down by the foot of the bed. "How are you?"

"Say what?"

"I asked how are you."

"Wow," her knitted brows dissolved into a what-is-this grin. "Since when do you ask about my wellbeing?"

"Since when do we have a conversation this long?"

She giggled, and a look of seriousness crept into her eyes as we stared at each other for a moment. And if I wasn't already thankful to her for find me some much-needed footwear, then I was definitely grateful that she decided to stop herself from saying whatever she was gonna say with an involuntary shake of her head.

Somehow I knew though - whatever she was gonna say, it involved my father coming back.

"Thanks, Betty, for taking care of mom," I laid out my usual one-liner. "And I really wanted to know earlier. How are you? Is my grandfather on time with the checks?"

"He is," she said then looked down, embarrassed, "I've actually been getting advances the last couple months."

"Hey," I reached out to touch her hand so that she would look at me. "just because I don't talk much doesn't mean I'm not here for you, okay? You can ask me for anything. The only reason I'm not worried about mom is because I know you're here."

"I just wish I was doing this for Marilyn without any financial ties," her gaze fell onto mom's lying figure. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her."

"Regardless, I'm grateful." I chuckled at her rolling her eyes. "Still could've used a pair of socks, though."

"You know what you could use? A little sense. That hand I just bandaged would've healed ages ago if you kept it out of a knuckle scuffle for more than 30 minutes. And a litte suggestion. Stop running into doors, and wear shoes before you decide to marathon across town."