Twenty One _ Come Clean

Chloe

“What’s with the goofy grin?” she asked, with a mouthful of cereal.

“Just feeling great.” I really was.

The look on her face told me yesterday wasn’t a waste of time and now. I also couldn’t wait to get to school. Don’t get me wrong; I had absolutely no problems with being here for Mag. I wanted to be. It was just that, I wanted so bad to get things straight with my girl, and get her back as fast as I could.

“If my presence could bring you such exuberance,” she started with a shade of a grin on her lips, “I could oblige you with a few more days with it.”

“Thanks, but no thanks.” Propping one elbow on the table, I pushed away my bowl, just for the effect. “A certain amount of that ‘exuberance’  may very well come from that ticket in your coat.”

“What? You went through my stuff?!?!”

“Oh, please! Like I didn’t see you reconing my phone!”

 “That ……….,” Her fake shock was taken over by genuine chagrin, followed up with a sheepish smile. “…….. was for security purposes.”

“How well were those purposes served, as you so generously observed?”

She looked up at the ceiling then back at me, finger tapping on the chin. It was so unusually cute on her usually sexy look. “Kinda …….breached?”

“Yeah, no shit!” that earned me a chiming giggle from her. Her smile still intact, she confessed after a few spoonful of granola. “I’m sorry. “

With a grin, I gave her an approving nod.

“I just thought may be I’d find out a little about what you are up to.”

“What’d you mean?”

“Well, for your last year of High School, you had to choose this town, right?”

I gave her a shrug, though I knew that wouldn’t cut it. “Why not? It’s a good place, nice school, sexy girls.”

She kept looking at me still with a smile. Just not that kind of smile she wore earlier.“What’re you doing here, Loh?”

I didn’t want to answer. And when I didn’t, she pushed further. “What’s that jerk gotten you into?”

If there was one thing I so desperately tried to avoid, it was taking sides between these two. She hated Ian’s guts, as he did her. I never got a chance to find out what’d happened but I could guess that they weren’t always like this.

A heavy sigh betrayed me while her gaze never wavered. “How about you tell me first what you promised me to and then pretended to forget last night? Then you’ll get my oh so special secret.”

By the look of surprise on her features, she didn’t really expect me to tell her why I was here. But I didn’t wanna keep any more secrets, to be honest. It was tiring, sorta. “It’s not as interesting or colorful as yours but if you must know,….” She shrugged, her earlier desperation for truth simmering down a little.

“I must.”

A small smile broke in before she started. “I had a fall-out with my parents the night after the junior prom. It was bigger than usual and I ended up moving here to Ian’s and decided I’d finish high school here.” She said, her eyes ablaze with reminiscence. “And I met her. She was Ian’s friend.”

Ian’s friend? Interesting.

“She was straight as they come and I was intrigued. At first of course, she was nothing more to me than a challenge; a cute challenge.” She added, chuckling. “And I knew I was nothing more to her than a… an unexplored territory.”