Six _ Secrets

Chloe

“I’d like it very much to join you for lunch but I still have to report to the principal.” Kate said as she locked the door.

“Next time, then. But are you gonna be alright going in there alone, you know, the lair of the …ish?”

She let out a small chuckle. “I’m not sure but I think I can manage.”

“Okay, see you, coach.”

“Alright, Chloe. Again thanks for your help.”

“Anytime.” I said and watched her graceful figure walk away till she rounded the corner. I could’ve left when the girls were dismissed but I noticed her snooping around at the entrance, so I decided to spend some time in the coach office and help Kate with the documents, which she was really grateful for.

Turning around, I headed out to the cafeteria. Having had nothing but a sandwich since this morning, I was famished like hell. I pushed opened the door and entered the restaurant, scanning the area for familiar faces but there was none. I quickly grabbed two burgers, some fillet steak and an orange juice and made my way to a secluded spot.

On my way over, I found that red-head who was with my old friend earlier at the pool, sitting with a boy but she herself was nowhere to be found. Still hadn’t gotten over it, I noted. I glanced over at the geeky-looking kid at the table next to mine as I sat down and started my meal. The whole place was filled with laughter and chattering noises while I ravished the food to satiate my burning appetite. When I finished which was in about three minutes, the familiar dizziness made its way into my head, and I gave in as usual.

The warning bell was enough to wake me from my catnap and through my blurry vision saw students rushing out the door. I sat up and sipped what’s left of my drink. Checking the schedule paper, I got up and rushed out of the place. I made it to my locker in record time and rushed to class with a glimmer of hope to get there in time, which was shattered the moment I collided with something, with someone. The guy was now half-sitting on the floor, with his books, hefted in his arms a moment ago, all over the place. Already imagining another slip added to my list, I paced over to him asking him if he was okay.

Looking more than annoyed, he just nodded and started picking up the books, which I joined in later. God, that’s a lot of books. Where did he get books this many anyway?

Placing the last one on the top of the heap now humped in his arms once again, I patted his shoulder.“Be careful next time, okay?”

I heard a growl from the behind the books and watched as he strutted past me and round the corner. The way he’s walking, it won’t be long before he’ll be picking those books up again. A smile crept up the edge of my lips as I pictured it in my mind. The bell rang again, reminding me to get going. Well, better late than never, right? With the hope that the History teacher lives by that motto, I turned and picked up my pace only to stop frozen at the sight of an all too familiar figure coming my way down the corridor.

She seemed to be in her own thoughts as she meandered her way towards me, a bit shakily I noticed. I was sure she felt my presence but she didn’t look up and I know her too well to not notice that something was wrong. Fighting off the caprice to rush over to her, and haplessly failing, I resumed walking towards her, instead of turning and going upstairs where the classroom was, and my heart grew restless with anticipation with every step that brought us closer.

We were only about 15 or 20 paces away when the silence was broken by a sound. She stopped walking and pulled her phone out of the side pocket on her sweater.