Thirty Nine _ The Turn

Chloe

“Maybe you should come back later.” Actually, I’ve been thinking about that for a while now. I got up and walked over to the desk, then braced my elbows on it.

“Shouldn’t the principal be, you know, sitting all majestic and eating the students alive in her office?”

She chuckled without looking up from the book. “I guess.”

“So … why isn’t she? Why am I getting stood up here?”

She sighed, eyes for the first time on me. “There’s been a … an incident. And she went to solve the mystery.”

Bullshit! “She went out for a …,”

“Yes, she did, and it might be a while before she comes back. I told you. You should come back later.”

“Well, I can’t go to class now that I’m late. I need a pass or something so the teacher knows it was the head of school that held me up.”

“Well, in that case, I can’t help you. So you’re welcome to wait.” She was already turning back to whatever she’d been reading but I wasn’t ready to go back and embrace the boring waiting chair yet.

“What’re you reading?”

Her sigh was a little more audible this time. “Book.”

“Fifty Shades?”

“Now, that is something I would read, isn’t it?”

“You were pretty eager to cut the conversation.” I grinned back at her soft glare.

“And you just assumed I’m reading that half-porno?”

I was on my way to teasing her more when something else popped up on my mind: something more appealing.  “Hey, Macy. A student’s personal information is pretty much confidential, right?”

“Venture a guess, Smarts.”

“I mean, even to their friends?”

I couldn’t hold back from scratching the back of my head and grin when she looked up with this knowing frown. “If I help you abuse whosever information you want to abuse, would you stop buggering me?”

“Ahar, just … purely for academic purposes. Mentoring stuff.” I also couldn’t help a grin when her hands found the keyboard. “Rina Haven.”

“This won’t hurt my job in any way?”

“What? NO!!”

“Better not. Rina … Haven.” I watched with glee at her hands playing over the keyboard and waited for the grinding sound from the printer, which never came.