Forty One _ Revelation

Nik

All that was audible was her ragged breathing. She was shaking: with shock, or maybe anger. I couldn’t guess.

One thing I did know, whatever it was controlling her, her normal self wasn’t it.Because she merely glanced down and kicked Aaron off her legunceremoniously when the boy started what he thought would hurt the one who hurt his mother.

Braced back against the wall for balance,Becky never looked up again. Eyes cast on the floor but apparently not seeing anything including her son, she also was breathing heavily. But the hiatus was not to last.

Giving the staggered woman one final glance, Rina took in a deep very audible breath and carelessly wiped at her face before walking away.

I started off with a sprint after her but had to stop when Rebecca looked up. Her eyes first followed the girl stomping away then finally fell on me running past her. She probably thought I was coming for her, and it made me feel bad.

Shakily, she stood up and, totally oblivious that she still had a son crying on the floor, said rather nervously, “She … that girl must have me confused with someone else.”

‘Terrible, terrible liar’ was my thought of course but I just gave her a nod.Not being crass or anything but I was way more than just angling for this conversation to end. All I had on my mind was to follow Rina. I then noticed the very notion on Rebecca’s features, only it was multiplied by hundreds.

“But maybe you should … probably, if you have time, … check on her?”Such intent, I’d never seen this amount of desperation in anyone’s eyes before.In seconds, it got too hard for me to keep looking at her. And it was when I gave in and turned away that I saw a small boy some distance from us. And stooped on the ground beside him wasn’t someone I was too keen on locking eyes with at the moment.

But with Rina’s phone in her hand, that was just what Elizabeth did.She seemed to be working out what could’ve happened but I didn’t wait for that to finish. I broke the gaze, thankfully remembered to reassure Becky with an awkward squeeze on her arm and took off.

Curiosity gone and worry rising, my mind was now not on Rina and Becky, not even Rina and me: but solely on Rina, and her alone.

…………………………       

…………………………

Chloe

“Sorry. The number you are tryi…,”F*ck!

I finally accepted it was a lost causecalling her and, shoving the phone back in the bag, tried for the first time to take stock of my surroundings, and got to thinking: where the hell was I going?

142, that’s upstairs!

“Hey, where’re you off to?”