One _ Crossed Purposes

Rina

“Okay, here you go.”

Taking the schedule paper and a welcome card, I smiled an appreciation at the sweet secretary. Returning a warm smile at me, she looked over my shoulder and called out to a Steve in a rather high pitch voice. “Can you help your new friend here with her way around to her class?”

“Of course,” I sensed someone beside me and turned to look up at a boy smiling at her and then at me.

She thanked him then turned to me again. “So if you need anything, you know where to find me.” I followed the guy as the woman went back to her work.

“So you are new? Where’re you from?” he started as we walked down the hallway. It seemed to be a little early because the place was quite empty.

“I just moved from England.”

“Cool. Which part?” He said giving me a sideways glance, but not that kind that’d make me self-conscious.

“Manchester.”

“City or United?”

“Oh, you know them?” I asked, surprised. “I thought football, I mean soccer, isn’t as popular here. By the way, I’m United, born and bred.” I said with a laugh.

“Figures. Well our football team, well they aren’t that much interested in winning  anything. Besides soccer is kinda more popular in this town in the first place, actually.”

“I don’t see a girls team?” I queried as I scanned the school profile.

“There used to be one but it didn’t quite work out, and there isn’t much competition so yeah, only boys team now. Why? You thinking of playing?”

“Umm,.. no. I’m not the athletic type. I’m crazy about it though. “

“Well it’s not always about strength when it comes to soccer. Height is also important.” He teased and an involuntary playful glare went his way. He seemed to be a nice guy, made me feel comfortable to be around him.

“Just kidding.” He said chuckling and I joined in with a, ‘yeah, yeah.’

“Anyways here we are.” He said as we reached the lockers. ‘’And yours is … this one.”

“Okay thanks.” I said and decided to ask him what I’ve been meaning to ask him the whole time.

“I guess you’ve been here for long.”

“Just my whole life.”

 I smiled. “Do you happen to know a Nicole Taylor?”

 “Yeah, I do. In fact, we know each other quite well.”

Great!

“Why the sudden query?” he asked, curious.

“Just curious.” It was of course more than that and he probably knew it.

“Yeah, right.” He paused, as if waiting for me to say something more.”Okay, then.” He said and shrugged. “I’m Steve. Rodgers.”

“Huh? Like the character?”

“There you go.”

I just couldn’t help giggling. I mean he was like him (I mean like Chris) in looks, more or less, but man, Captain America with a pot belly?

I guessed he seemed to get that a lot too ‘cause he just kept laughing along with me, not looking offended.

“And I’m Rina Haven. It’s very nice to meet you, too, Captain.” I closed my locker after putting books in it. Now I only have books for the first class in my bag.