Thirty Four _ Tangled

Rina

“You really like her, don’t you?” She thought aloud as I hung up.

 “Problem with that?”

“But what’s the reason? I mean, … what’s the reason?”

“’cause we’re sisters?” I questioned back, without trailing off ‘cause if there’s anyone on this planet not gonna mock me for this, it was Liz.

“How do you even know she’s …,” I didn’t know what she saw on my face but she stopped short of the sentence,” … argh, never mind.”

“What?!”

“Nothing.”

“Elizabeth, say what you were gonna say …”

“Or what? You gonna do what?”

“I’ll … I’ll go home.”

A stupid smirk grew on her lips as she gave me this over-the-top once-over.

“Really? You’re already in my PJs. Your cash book is in my bag. And … ” she beat me to it before I could react, and triumphed, “now, your phone is in my hand.”

I muttered something incoherent even to my own ears and slouched back into the pillowed headboard.

“And what are you doing with that?” Her voice sounding painfully amused, she queried when I picked up the guitar lying beside me. “You can’t even play. Haha, everybody, give it up for Rina, she can’t even ….”

“You little …” I hadn’t even made it off the bed, though,  when she fled out of the room giggling like the devil, but not before sticking her tongue out at me. Shaking my head, I collapsed back onto the bed with a smile on my face and a sigh through my lips.

Liz was one of those few who didn’t have a split personality to me.

Even with Nicole, I had two minds. Of course, most of the day, she was my sister: someone for me to protect. But at the rarest of times: especially that one time in the locker when she opened up her thoughts about me and Jen, she felt to me as just another selfish crosspatch. But like I said, just at the rarest of times.

But then, there’s Kim.

I couldn’t say the time we’d spent together was the best part of my life because I’d never forget the memories Mom and Dad gave me. Also because, being ambivalent and indecisive as I always am, I still can’t figure out what it is that she and I had.

And like almost everyone else in my life, there were two versions of her I remembered.