52 _ Torn

Nik 

Letting out a groan, I finally gave up and dropped onto the ground, then reached down feeling for my ankle. There looming on the horizon was the big fat chance me missing the biggest game of the year, and the reason was this freakn' ankle that gave me a headache every time I took a hard step.

It was only about six in the morning. I'd gone to bed really late and woken up early, and my decision to bury my mind in training hadn't turned out fruitful. It in fact worsened my injury. Letting out another groan, I just shook my head and got up. The thought had actually crossed my mind to get a little lie-in right here on the backyard lawn, but I wanted a shower more than a rest.

I limped back into the house, and headed for the kitchen. But I shambled in, only to feel my throat get drier – mostly because of guilt, though.

"Hey," I greeted, startling her a little. "Morning. What are you doing?"

She let out an embarrased chuckle and glanced down at the ice tray that she'd just set on the table.

"Making baby ice-cubes."

"You're so adorable," I muttered before I could stop myself, but thankfully it came out almost inaudible,. Still, I found myself staring till it became obvious that she was gonna break the gaze. I didn't let that happen. "Rina, about last night."

Maybe she wasn't expecting it 'cause I noticed her eyes widened ever so slightly, which irked me. Why would she not think I wouldn't even say sorry? She looked away just for a split-second and bit on her lip before accepting the apology I hadn't even yet offered.

"It's okay, Nicole. It did freak me out a little when you ... ... .But I'm okay."

"No, you're not okay. That was stupid. I was stupid. ... ... ... I was angry."

"With me?"

"Ye-- no! Of course not! I was ... ... Remember when I asked if you heard us talking?"

"You didn't ask," she breathed out an almost unnoticeable sigh before continuing. "There's something you have to realize, Nicole. You don't owe me anything. In fact, it's the other way around. I owe you my life. You've been so good to me."

"Yes, I have."

"And you-- ... huh?" It caught her off guard, and for a second, she stared at me speechless before finally breathing out a surprised chuckle. I wiped the stupid grin off my face and started my own speech.

"Listen, last night was just me being stupid. I thought that ... ... when Steve and I were talking ... back at Elizabeth's place, in her bedroom, I thought that you were outside, listening in on us."

I sighed out a heavy breath, going to stand near her.

"We were talking about you, and about Jennifer. There was some shouting. Yelling. There was me spouting out bullshit. ... Like I hate that you are here. Or that I hope you'd be hauling ass back to England if I had my way. ... And don't you dare ask if I meant any of that!"

She pouted out her lips the slightest then went on to bite on them with a hint of a smile. I drew in a deep breath to focus on the conversation at hand.

"Actually, the two examples you just heard is the toned down version. I said pretty harsh stuff about Jennifer and you."

"That's how I've always expected you to react to this situation – us moving in here. You don't have to feel bad about it."

"Don't lie to me, Rina," I half-scolded her, leaning back onto the tabletop behind me. "You would've felt disappointed that I still feel this way after eveything that's happened in the last couple days. But that's just the thing. ... That's what I have to ask of you."