Four _ The New Girl

Rina

“Ed, what was that?” Jen asked but he didn’t respond as he entered the room again.

“I thought she’d have changed by now. I just hoped we could've sat down and talked.”

Confusion took over Jen’s face as he finished. But I knew what he was talking about. He didn’t want us to know Nicole was gay. She was gay, right? Hell, she was the most virile guy I’d ever seen, despite being a girl.

“What are you talking about? I meant to ask why she didn't know about us. I thought you told her.What were you doing?”

Like me, he must have thought his daughter being gay surprised and possibly shocked his new wife. He must’ve been expecting ‘Why didn’t you tell me she’s like that?’ or something along those lines.

That was one of many things I love about Jen. She doesn’t give much care to the so-called standards of the society, which others so seriously hold dear. I saw some kind of relief in his eyes but it vanished as quickly as it came.

“I called her  …”

“But?” She was clearly irritated. She obviously didn’t want to start off like this  with her step daughter. But I doubt things will be much different if the girl knew about us in advance, anyway. But still even I did try to tell her ahead of all this, hoping she could prepare herself in some way.

“I wasn’t ready.” he said, his voice cracking as he sat down on the bed. I had never seen him like this over the length of time I’d known him.

“I … I didn’t know how to tell her. I’ve hurt her enough and still I did this.”

“But we’ve talked about this. We will get through this together.” Jen’s voice softened, sincerity clear in her words.

Edward looked up and surprised us with a few tears on his face. I’d seen that look twice.

One was only moments ago in Nicole’s eyes. The other was nearly seven years ago, in the mirror, looking back at me, at the first orphanage I got sent to.

“I’m sorry I got you into this.” He said, his eyes cast on the floor once again. Jen sat down beside him, letting him rest his head on her shoulder.

“Hey, we are family now, for better or worse. I know why you didn’t tell her. I’ve been there. But now that she knows, there’s only one thing left to do. We’ll give her a family once again.” She said softly.” One she so desperately needs but won’t admit she does.”

I didn’t get what she meant when she said she’d been there but I guess she was just trying to make him feel better.

“It’s just, … seeing her makes me remember things. Things I’ve tried so hard to forget.” His voice still hadn’t lost that edgy tone. “She’s blaming herself for her mother’s death. And I made her think that in a way. But actually it was me who ruined what we had together as a family.”

“Okay, first you need to get that thought out of your head.” She said, straightening herself up on the bed.

All this time, I’d been standing before them, totally forgetting to sit down.

“As far as I know, it was nobody’s fault.” She said, looking into his eyes. “It was just an unfortunate turn of events that did it.”

There weren’t any more tears but Ed still looked as vulnerable as ever. He looked expectantly at his newlywed as she continued.