Twenty Nine _ On the HoriZon

Nik

His amused questioning look was on the verge of turning into frustration. At the same time, that question in my head started to scream louder and louder: ‘Why was I doing this?’. And yet my grip on his shirt was kept tightened.

“Let go, Nik.”

Why did I lose control? I should’ve walked away or something but when I saw him with Rina, her cheeks flushed red, I just …

“I said,” he started as his hands came up, “let go.”

In movies, they’d show this guy pushed up against the wall thought ‘enough is enough’ and decided to show who the boss is, easily letting himself free. Well, he tried that.

Tried.

Finally, Steve started making some efforts to really stop this instead of just using words as I felt him try to pull me back. But I didn’t’ budge. My gaze on Ian didn’t waver, either.

“What are you doing here, McGovern? Huh. What are you up to?”

Steve’s hands weakened. Seems he wanted to know that as much as I did, even though this wasn’t a question to which an easy answer was likely.

His eyes narrowed, his face instead of going off in anger remained smug and in this overly shocked voice, Ian said, “McGovern?”

“Just answer the damn question.” The words came out in an angry growl and the smirk on his face only grew even more pleased at this.

“May I be free?” His gaze following a passer-by, he asked gesturing towards my arms. He was lucky the corridor was somewhat empty since the bell had rang moments ago. Otherwise, this’d been pretty pride-hurting for him.

When no reply came from me, Steve added with a small sigh.

“Let him go first, Nik.”

A few more seconds of useless staring passed before I let him go and stepped back.

We watched in silent disbelief at how drastic someone could change over the course of just nearly two years. There was not a slightest trace of that boy I’d grown up with in this guy straightening his shirt in front of me.

And he surprised me even more. “Look at you, all grown up. Marilyn would be so proud of you.”

“Man,” If mom’s name coming out of that hole hadn’t left me too murderous to notice other things, I would’ve been surprised at how menacingly calm my reply followed, “trust me, you don’t’ wanna go there.”

My still-best friend stepped in between us. “Now’s not the best time to talk, come on, Ian.”

I managed to keep the gaze steady on the guy even with Steve’s back blocking me from him. But he didn’t respond with nothing other an amused smirk. Then something changed that look: something resembling realization.

“You were rather fine and nervous the other day. Why suddenly all angsty, and still nervous?” He took a step forward even as Steve tried to hold him off and said in this know-it-all air, “Don’t tell me it’s Rina.”

Even though I didn’t look it, something heavy inside me dropped, bringing my stomach down along with it. He can’t know how I feel about her!

It’s not like I myself even knew how I feel about her, but that’s another story.

Steve then cut in and scolded in this All Mother voice he’s always had, “Enough, both of you!”

But he was right. I’d had enough.