50 _ A Distant Promise of Eden

... Rina ...

"We're okay now! Nicole and I."

The only plea I could come up with to solidify my statement was holding Nicole's hand the tightest I could, but Liz didn't seem to notice. She just stared on and on, and I didn't dare turn my eyes away. She needed to know I wasn't backing down.

Maybe Jen said something to her, or to me, but obviously she didn't hear it and neither did I. Then after about two seconds and an infinity of staring, she finally broke the gaze.

"No, I ... ... ... ... ... Rina's ... you know, Jen?" She heaved out a sigh and looked up - not at Jen, who she'd called, but at me - and I held my breath. "Rina's really strong. She's so strong it scares me."

It was at that moment I realized that this had come to mean so much to me - 'this' meaning exactly how my best friend had put it: making this family whole again.

"I just hope she's strong enough."

She added that, her gaze shifting to the girl beside me, but I didn't care. I just needed her to believe in me, and she'd just showed me that she did.

"Is there a boy? Is this what's going on here? Is it about a boy?" Finally I looked at Jen, and obviously she also knew I hadn't really been aware of her presence till now. God, I'd missed her so much. "Come on, I deserve it."

I let out a heartfelt chuckle, and went to hug her. Only after I was in her embrace did I realize I'd slipped my hand out of Nicole's, and that I'd been holding it all this time.

She was staring at me when I looked back over my shoulder. Maybe I should've smiled, but I forgot to. I ended up using my having to pull away from Jen as an excuse to break the gaze.

"I've missed you so much," Jen mused, holding me at arm's length, then cupped my cheeks. "You look so frail, baby. Has it been a long day?"

"I have to get home," Liz blurted out as she made her way out of the kitchen, still without looking at me. "See you, Rina."

"Uh-uh, no, you don't, miss!" Jen grabbed her hand and decided, "you're staying till after dinner."

"I've eaten, but thank you."

"But Kevin haven't yet," I pointed out just as she politely slid her hand out of Jen's hold. "We can't starve a child, right?"

"I can take a parcel back home and feed him--"

"Nonsense! Steve, I'm sorry. Can you help lay the table?"

I in fact didn't even know he was here till Jen asked, but I didn't turn to him. I was waiting for my bestie to stop frowning at the floor and look up. She did look up, though - just not at me.

"I'll help," she offered, but just as Steve nudged his way through us and out of the room, she anounced her change of heart, "on second thought, how about you give him a hand, Nik?"

An involuntary glance went Nicole's way, and we met eyes again. She had an indecisive look on her face but before I could avoid the mistake I'd made last time and muster up a smile, she looked away woodenly. My heart promptly got heavy.

"Now let's get you into something comfortable." Jen said, after thanking the two friends who'd gone out. I nodded but I still had one eye on my best friend who'd gone ahead and takena seat at the table. Obviously, Jen knew my mind. "After you talked to Ellie, of course. ... I'll be in your room."

I smiled and hugged her again before she left. One part of my mind noticed that Steve and Nicole were taking too long to make the trip to the car parked in front and back, but I just walked back into the kitchen.