Twenty Four _ Goodbye.

Rina

“Get me a strawberry shake?” Smacking her lips, she said before going back to munching on some formidable amount of food in her mouth. There was still a good half plate of food before her. And my chuckle met a glare.

“Alright, alright.” Leaving the bag, I walked over to the counter. It was a little late but the rush hour of the place hadn’t worn out yet.

“Pilaf and ...umm, some celery sticks.” I didn’t have a hard time choosing my lunch. I’d always like Eastern dishes. “And milk. And a strawberry shake, please.” Faster done than said, the plate was in front of me in like three seconds.

With a glass in one hand and a tray in other, I wobbled back to Liz. And on the way, the noisiest table in the room caught my eye.

Nicole studying here had also been a reason but Jen let me go to this school mainly because it’s known to be free of bullying. This being so and over the last year of homeschooling I’d received, I was starting to grow out of my habit of not making eyes contact with people who I think would turn out to be bullies; including ‘the noisiest tables in the cafeteria’.

Hence an accidental glance went their way and my eyes didn’t fail to notice Derek in the midst of them. Just as immediately, I set my gaze back on my track again. Strangely, I didn’t feel anything seeing him among those who I’d easily categorize as bullies. His persona seems to fit the type, which I was pretty sure wasn’t the case.

Though, I did feel like I was forgetting something. Something that had something to do with him. Though, of course, I wasn’t going there and ask him.

Liz  grasped the glass as I sat it down on the table and sat down myself.

“What did the coach say?” she said taking a swig from the glass as I began eating.

I shook my head.

“No? he snubbed you, or you didn’t go there?” She asked, her lips sealed to the pipe. I admire her capability of multi-tasking. I really do.

“We didn’t see him. He wasn’t there.” I explained, swallowing hard. “Not now, Liz. I’ll tell you later.”

“Someone’s hungry,” said … someone? I had to stop my lunch again to find Derek looking down at me. But not just him, his whole gang!

“H… hi.” I stuttered, half from the state he caught me in and half from the attention his buddies were giving us. But at that same moment, that which had been slipping my mind earlier finally reappeared.  

“Hey, uhh, I forgot your shirt.” That raised a few chuckles from his buddies. And when the joke surfaced, so did the blood on my cheeks.

“It’s okay.” He reassured me then apparently seeing my discomfort, said, “I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

I gave him a nod, which he replied with that smile of his. And then they left. Looking at his back, I couldn’t help but muse that this guy would really look dashing if he dressed up just half as much as his friends. Not that he doesn’t already, but…

“And here I was, trying to get you a boyfriend!”

“Will you keep it down?!” I exclaimed but she sat unfazed.

“Why do I always have to find out myself about your boy friends? I mean, Steve, Nik, and now this guy. Thank god I had the honor of introducing Ian to you.”

When did she start calling her Nik? “Nicole isn’t a guy. And I was gonna tell you about him.”

“Please and also about that shirt of his you forgot.”