Forty Five _ Journeys Start

“I’m gonna need some ID’s.”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“Afraid not.” At long last, four-eyes tore his gaze away from her and gave me a shrug. “Store policy.”

“And I thought you hired bicycles, not submarines. It’s okay, Rina. We’ll just walk. Wait, …” I turned back to him and held my hand out, “… my money. Give it back.”

“Nah, I was just messing with you.” Handing me the keys, he grinned and looked at her again. “So, … Rina. You live around here?”

“Yeah, just around the corner of F*ck Yourself. Stop hitting on customers and do your job, … nerd!”

She looked down for a moment and I saw a stifled smile on her face when she turned to me. I responded only by shaking my head.

“This is just part-time. And I’m not a nerd-well, in a way …”

“Whatever. Let’s go.” I pressed home the advantage and took her hand possessively before leading her out. The bikes were just outside the shop so it was only for about five seconds that I got to hold her hand before I had to let her go again but damn, did it feel right!

I should, and would, do it as often as I could from now on.

“I should get out more.”

“You’re not. … … at least not without me.” True, I replied with the same teasing tone she’d used but I did mean it. She didn’t know it, though ‘cause she just responded with a small laugh and set her attention on the bicycles. I too let out a patronizing chuckle, and muttered. “We’ll see.”

“These are really worn-out!” She exclaimed, crouching down resting the back of her thighs on her calves. I didn’t think the jeans she had on hers but Elizabeth’s ‘cause they were different from the ones I usually see her in: they were tight. That and the posture she’d settled in while she examined the bicycle provided quite a feast for my eyes as I stood behind her and just leered.

“You’re not gonna check yours?”

“Huh? Yeah, yes. Of course.”

I could feel her eyes on me all the time while I was absentmindedly touching the wheels of the bike here and there. And as expected, she was waiting for me when I got back on my feet to make a question out of nowhere.

“Does it still hurt?”

“Huh?”

“That.” She was biting her lip in nervousness but I honestly still didn’t know what she was talking about until she clarified, “When I-uhh… threw that photo frame at you.”

“Oh.” I absentmindedly reached for my forehead and felt the mark. “Didn’t know it was there.”

She chuckled softly along with me and my heart rate spiked when she reached out for my face and touched my hand.

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m okay. Really.”

“No. …” Looking down, she put her hand back to her side and mumbled. “… not just about that. I know the last thing you need is total strangers barging in on the place where your …”

“Hey, hey.” I cupped her cheek with one hand and grazed my finger along her smooth jaw before raising her chin with it, thus locking our eyes. “We’re past that. I’m okay that you’re here with me. … … More than okay.”

“Really?”

She kept gazing into my eyes even after I nodded. The light demeanor that she’d kept all morning wasn’t there anymore but it wasn’t her mother that brought back her vulnerability: it was me.