Thirty One _ Apology

I’m really sorry to be saying this but I can’t deliver on what I’ve promised you with this story IN DUE TIME. I’m going away for work and it’s gonna take more than a year. I’m not saying I won’t update during this time but I will take even longer than the rate I’m currently going to update (like 2,3 or 4 months, or probably longer).

And I’m sorry.

This isn’t really a full chapter. This job of mine came on such short notice and I just wanted to let you know and not leave you hanging so I uploaded this. This will probably the last time you’ll see these girls for a very long time.

“Goodbye”, said Nicole, Rina, Chloe, Steve and Co. and, of course, me.

………………………… 

…………………………

Nik

Right now, everywhere I go, it has to be her that I first notice. I didn’t make ten feet out the door of the class room before I saw her on the phone, as usual, smiling.

Another thing. And don’t get me wrong here ‘cause I ain’t saying I am desperate for him but when I could guess it was most probably her mother that was on the line, it made me wonder what the hell was my own father doing. But I did one thing that I’ve taught myself when it comes to him: dismiss the very thought.

“Nik, can we talk?” was what greeted me first even before the hustle of the lunch room did.

“About what?” I brushed past him and made for the counter. Actually, I didn’t want to talk to him. Because there was only one thing on his mind right now: to ask what I meant by that challenge I made to Ian.

“About what you said to Ian. About Rina.”

“You gotta believe me, man. Your chick’s a dyke.”

It was even barely carried over to me above other voices in the air but surely he also heard it because it was almost synchronized both of our heads snapped to where that came from. Of course, it was Clyde. But what didn’t annoy me that much (or did so all the more) was the fact that he actually didn’t use that word to get at me.

“What did you mean by that?” Steve demanded again, finally turning back to me.

“What should it mean?”

“Don’t play around, Nik. You know I’m not kidding. This is serious.”

“Explaining him wasn’t the best of ideas at that time, Steve. Now he knows she’s not to be touched.”

“I’m taking a wild guess here but you were there when he declared ‘game on’, right?” He bristled then sighed. “That was really stupid of you, Nik. I told her not to get tangled between you two. And it’s us who personally have dragged her into this. ”

“Don’t worry, Mama Bear. Nothing’s gonna happen. I’ll make sure that the world stays saved, alright? Now, can I go?”

He frowned took his time to step aside as I made for my usual spot.

I munched on the rolls which once used to be my favorite food and, so unlike me, kept glancing around. Minutes went by. Steve and his buddies got themselves a table. Later, Rina and Elizabeth joined them.

To be honest, despite this thing I have about ‘quiet and peaceful’ meals, I felt kinda alone. And it made me miss Chloe.

Well, speak of the devil! Along she comes.

But who would’ve thought the second stop she took after getting her plate wasn’t mine but that one table I’d been having my eyes on?

………………………… 

…………………………