Vol 1.Chapter 1 - Bus Ride

1 April.
The entrance ceremony.
I was going to school on the bus, which shook every time it passed over a bumpy area of the road.
As I watched the landscape change from area to area, the passengers on the bus increased gradually.
Most of the passengers were wearing school uniforms.

The lone frustrated salary worker who got on the bus remembered the time when he accidentally groped someone the last time he got on a crowded bus.
An old woman standing in front of me stood precariously on her unsteady feet, looking as if she would fall over at any time.

I made a big mistake  by taking the bus.
Even though I was able to secure a good seat, the cold wind was blowing towards me and the whole bus was crowded.
That poor old woman will have to wait until the bus arrives at her destination.
The cloudless sky and clear weather is refreshing.I think I might fall asleep.
My tranquility and peace was suddenly interrupted.

"Don't you think you should give up your seat?"

For a moment, I opened my eyes that were about to close.
Eh, by any chance, were you scolding me and ruining my peaceful time?
That's what I thought at first, but apparently the person in front of me was being warned.

A young, well-built, blonde-haired man was sitting down in the priority seat,who act like narcissistick.I mean  high school student. The old woman was standing next to him. An office lady was next to the old woman.

"You there, can't you see the old woman having trouble?"

The office lady seemed to want him to hand over the priority seat to the old woman.
In the quiet bus, her voice got louder and attracted the attention of the other people in the bus.

"That's a really crazy question, lady."
The boy might have been angry, ignorant, or perhaps brutally honest, but he just smiled and recrossed his legs.

"Why should I give this seat to an old woman? There's absolutely no reason for me to give it up."

"Isn't it natural to hand over the priority seat to the elderly?"

"I don't understand. Priority seats are just priority seats, and there is no legal obligation for me to move. Whether or not I move should be decided by me, who is currently sitting in this seat. Will you give up your seat because I am a young man? Hahaha, that's a stupid way of thinking."

It's a manner of speaking that one wouldn't expect from a high school student. His hair is dyed blond, and there are some unexpected traits for a high school student.

"I am a healthy young man. Certainly, I don't feel that standing up would inconvenience me. However, it is obvious standing up will consume more physical strength than sitting down will. I don't want to do such a useless thing. Or maybe, are you telling me to be more lively and energetic?"

"What, what kind of attitude is that towards your superiors!?"

"Superior? It's obvious that both you and the old woman have lived longer than me. There's no doubt about it. However, that 'above' refers to height. Also, I have a problem with you. Even if there is a difference in age, isn't that an awfully rude and impertinent attitude?"

"Wha…! You're a high school student!? Honestly, just listen to what adults say!"

"It's fine, it's fine…"

The office lady was worked up, but the old woman didn't want to make the situation worse. She tried to calm her down with hand gestures, but the office lady continued to insult the high school student and looked like she was about to fly into a rage.

“What's the problem?” I asked

“This rude young man won't give his seat to this old woman”

“I see so the problem was this guy won't give this sit to the old woman right?.I suppose you can have my seat mam.”
Eventhough I agree with this narssistic but its to noisy and disturbing for my ear.

"Thank you so much”Both the office lady and the old woman thank me
The bus soon arrived at the destination, and stopped at the school.

As I got off the bus, there was a gate made of natural stone waiting for me.
All the boys and girls in uniform got off the bus and passed through the gate.

Koudo Ikusei High School.

A school created by the Japanese government that aims to nurture young people to support the future.
It is a place that I will attend starting from today.

Stop, take a deep breath.

Ok, let's go!

"Wait a second."

As I tried to take my first step of courage, I was instantly stopped as someone tried to talk to me.

I was stopped by the girl,Straight, short, brown hair that reached the top of the shoulders.

“Thank you for giving your seat earlier."

“It was no problem,anyone would have done the same.”

“But no one else did it right.”

She has a point.

“I guess that's true."

“I'm Kushida Kiykou from class D,I hope we can be friends in the future.What about you?”

She asked while smilling radiantly at me.How could she be this cute

“Hikigaya Hachiman ,also from class D nice to meet you.”

“Nice Let’s go together Hi-.”

“Wait.”

As I tried to take my first step of courage with Kushida,I was instantly stopped as someone tried to talk to me.
I was stopped by the girl I sat next to on the bus.

Kushida seem shock and nervous but immediately calm herself down.

“I think I will go first.”

Said Kushida and she start walking away to the school.

"You were looking at me a while ago. Why?", she said with a firm look.

"Sorry. I was just a bit interested. Whatever the reason, you didn't have any thoughts of giving up your seat to the old woman, right?"

"Yeah yeah, I didn't want to give up my seat. What's wrong with that?"

"No, it's just that I thought the same thing.But its to noisy so I step in."

"Don't compare me to you. I didn't give up my seat because I did not feel any sense in giving up the seat to an old woman."

“We are done here there’s nothing more to disscus.”