Vol 1.Chapter 17 - The Dark Side Of An Angel

Oreki POV

Leaving the library I saw someone that looked like Kushida from the back. It was around 6 o'clock, so there was no one other than club members. Well, there's also the possibility that Kushida is meeting one of her friends that's in a club.

Well this is the right time to give back her phone.

Getting my indoor shoes from the rack, I headed for the hallway, but didn't see Kushida. Did I lose sight of her? I thought that, but I heard the faint sounds of someone's shoes.

I arrived at the stairs leading to the second floor. Still following her. I heard the footsteps above me, going to the third floor. The next floor is the rooftop, no? It's open during lunchtime, but I believe that it's locked after school. Feeling curious, I went up the stairs. I hid my presence in case she was meeting with someone. And then I stopped in the middle of the stairs.
I was wondering whether or not I should leave, Kushida put down her bag on the floor.

And then-

"Ah- so annoying."

Her voice was so low that I didn't think that it was Kushida.

"It's really annoying, irritating. It'd be fine if she just died..."

She was grumbling to herself as if she was saying some kind of spell or curse.
"I hate those kind of stuck-up girls that think they're cute. Why is she such a bitch?"Why should I study with the 3 idiots pervert scumbag and 4 plain,gloomy,boring freaks?"

Is Kushida annoyed with... Yukinoshita? Why does she insulting me with the boys?

"Ah- the worst. She's really the worst, the worst, the worst. Yukinoshita annoying, annoying, so annoying!"

My brain told me that it was dangerous to stay here

I should get away from here. Kushida probably wouldn't want anyone else to see her like this. Hiding my presence, I tried to quickly leave.

Thump!

Shit.

In the school at dusk, the sound of kicking the door was louder than I thought. Unexpectedly loud. Kushida, also hearing the sound, immediately tensed up and stopped breathing. As if someone called out to her, Kushida turned around and spotted me.

"... What are you... doing here?"

After a brief silence, Kushida asked in a cold voice.

"I lost my way, My bad, my bad. I'll leave now."

Kushida kept looking at me, seeing through my obvious lie. She had an intense gaze I'd never seen before.

"Did you hear...?"

"Will you believe me if I said I didn't?"

"I see..."

Kushida briskly walked down the stairs. She put her left forearm against my neck and pushed me against the wall.
Her tone of voice and behavior wasn't the Kushida I knew.

The Kushida now had a scary look that I couldn't help but compare to some random people.

"What you heard just now... if you speak a word of it to anyone, I won't forgive you."

That sounded like a threat.

"And if I did?"

"Then I'll spread a rumor that you raped me up here."

"That's a false charge, you know."

"That's ok, since it's not a false charge."

There was a strong impact to her words.