▪︎DS!Drink▪︎: No Escape 🖤

Request by 4rt1st_

Let's go!

DS!Dream's POV:

There's no escape.

No escape from feelings. From people. From life. Even when you die, you must still be left with the memories of your life, and therefore your regrets. The missed opportunities. The failures. Even your successes can be used against you. You could feel guilt from your own victories because you've snatched someone else's away for your own to prosper. Your gain is another's loss, after all. And how would that loss affect them?

Perhaps it would plunge them into depression, destroy their mental stability? Would it affect their friendships, their social interactions, their confidence? Maybe it would help them move on with their life? Or perhaps it would have no affect, and they set themselves up to fail from the get go? Would they continue to expect and embrace failure without trying to better themselves because of your success?
...
The guilt... must be unbearable. At least, it would be for me. For others? Maybe not.

Perhaps 'heaven and hell' determines whether you keep your regrets of your past life for all eternity, or if you are allowed to move on and seek a better life for yourself. But... what requirements are there to deserve that 'better life?' Must you live a life completely obeying the rules set by society? Or should you live your own life and follow your heart? Perhaps you should devote yourself entirely to helping others. Living a selfless life is bound to reward you in the afterlife, right?

Well. If that were the case, no one is going to heaven. It is impossible to make everyone happy.

.
.
.

I should stop thinking about this. It's going to put me off, and I've already made my decision.

I'm done seeing him walk around with the glitch. He looks so happy. I could never make him that happy. You know your use has run out when you can't even make the person you love so dearly happy.

And I'm the guardian of positivity too. What a joke. Adds salt to the wound.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to realise that I'm a burden to everyone. After all, if I can't make someone I truly care for happy, then how am I supposed to make strangers happy? I can't eradicate negativity when I myself evidently cause it for other people. My entire existence is the epitome of 'counterproductive'. Well, no more.

I look out the window into the garden to see... them. Error. And Ink. Such a unique pair. So happy. So happy it hurts.

Hurts...

I can't do this anymore. I can't pretend like everything's as it normally is when those two are simply perfect for eachother. The real life example of a match made in heaven. Why should I be the one to ruin that?

He. Doesn't. Love. Me.

It's selfish to expect, even hope that he ever will or ever did. I'm simply not the one his non existent soul belongs to. Error is, and that's fine. I stopped hating it a while ago. I can't blame either of them for being in love. They both deserve love. I will not get in the way of that.

It will only take a moment. Just one.

Open the drawer. Pick up the knife. Get out your soul. Say goodnight. Such an easy process, surely I won't fail at this too? I sure hope not. This is torture, for not only me but the entire multiverse. My presence is enough of a burden to weigh them down. Time to get rid of it.

Five.

Putting down the pen, I seal the envelope in which my suicide note lays. I can only assume that before the night is over my dust shall be found, and therefore this letter. My last words, and the words I was too cowardly to ever say. I hope they take them well.

Four.

I look out the window once again. I smile, for I am graced with the beauty of one last sunset. Well, the last on the land of the living anyway. Who knows, perhaps the afterlife will contain more luxury and happiness than this world could ever contain. I shall see, there isn't long now.

Three.

I take out my soul and look down at it. To many it is a thing of beauty, something that symbolises love and hope, and all things good. I'm afraid it's quite the opposite for me. I've come to loathe the very existence of this darned thing, and I cannot wait to remove it at last.

Two.

I hope Nightmare forgives me. I have never hated him, simply the thing he brings about. Negativity. So troublesome, so terrible. Yet so necessary. For positivity to prosper, negativity must as well. Hopefully he won't take my death too hard. I've explained everything in the note, and if I can I'll watch over him when I pass on.

One.

...Would things have been different if Ink loved me back? Could this have been stopped, or simply delayed? Was this my purpose all along? Perhaps it was.
...
Oh, Ink. I've loved you for so long. You really are my sunshine. I hope Error can make you as happy as I should have. I love you, and I'll never forget you. Goodbye, my love.

Zero.

A few particles of dust swirled in the air like specks of snow as the knife clattered to the ground. A couple of feathers surrounded the jacket and crown that had fallen along with their owner, drifting slowly to the ground and shimmering in the last shine of the sun. Then it set, and the office was plunged into darkness. A draft swept the dust away; leaving the clothes, knife, crown and envelope. The envelope was safely tucked inside the pocket of the jacket, ready to spill the last thoughts, feelings and secrets of Dreamswap Dream to anyone who was willing to listen.

...Maybe there was an escape, after all.

997 words.
Hope you enjoyed!
Bye! <3