41: battleground

♡

Jeon Jungkook, at that moment, didn't care.

He didn't care about the deranged and deadly criminals slinking around the house. Nor did he care about the rain of gunfire shattering through the air, or the bodily fluids slinging out in each direction. Ultimately, he couldn't care less about the cloud of fire that he so carelessly leapt through.

In seconds, his flesh was dribbling with perspiration.

Through the syrupy gas, the boy could hardly regulate himself. He knew the speed in which he passed the fire wouldn't have protected him from harm, but it didn't matter to him as the floor beneath him drooped and he searched frantically for Minjun. He seethed as a fiery board of timber landed on his head, stunning him momentarily.

Jungkook grunted, hurtling away from a section of fallen ceiling that licked his calf with a stripe of molten flame. He dismissed the pinching heat on his palms as he shovelled away stacks of splintering wall panels, digging in every direction for some indication of the boy. The skin on his hands was stripping away at speed.

It was when he jostled aside a burning slither of crumpled roof that he noticed a blocked off area, with a door on one side. He gasped, spewing out as he inhaled the toxic fumes, and grabbed the door handle. Immediately, he yelled out and pulled away, observing the way some of his flesh had melted onto the alloy handle in the second he felt it.

The man gritted his teeth, using his deteriorating ability to propel his leg up and launched it into the door.

It fragmented away from the wall and slumped down a mini flight of stairs. The smell of smouldering rubber provoked Jungkook's nose as he stepped down with haste, the bottom of his shoes melting away faster than the hairs on his head were singeing. He tried his toughest to keep his eyes open, despite the feeling of heat scratching at his eyeballs.

"Ah- Jungkook!"

"Min-" Jungkook issued a series of damaging hacks, cowering over to relieve himself, "Minjun?!" On one hand, the basement level had notably fewer flames, but the smoke still smothered the room. Not to mention the fact that the stairwell may as well sink at any moment.

"Help me!"

Jungkook felt around for the boy, stopping when his calloused fingertips felt his red-hot, sweat-covered flesh. Minjun clutched onto Jungkook's arms when he felt him close, giving the man passage to his body. The torturer hoisted him, holding him like a toddler effortlessly.

"Put my t-shirt over your nostrils," Jungkook ordered, wasting no time in sucking in a deep breath and storming towards the stairs. He made it up to the third before the wood dropped and weakened, terrorising both boys. Jungkook stiffened his grip, tucking away his discomfort and anxiety for just a moment to get Minjun to safety.

The shed floor was at eye-level with him, spitting sparks and flames over his face.

He advanced, fortunately staying stable this time, and made it to the ground level. When he arrived, he could see the battleground around him as if there was never a structure there in the first place. He begged for his shoes to stay unimpaired as he scrambled over heaps of scorching wood, acting as tinder for the neverending fire.