43: infirmary

♡

Hoseok was achingly tender as he placed the half-asleep Minjun on the medical bed, a smile on his face at how the boy barely stirred.

Hyungwon was quick to serve the boy, seeing as his co-worker IU was occupied tending Jungkook's burns with a few other nurses. With Hoseok's help, Hyungwon covered Minjun's groin with a narrow cloth before examining his body.

"Oh, yeah-" Hoseok set a hand over Hyungwon's forearm as he lay the cloth- "he was in pain earlier when I was carrying him, you know, by his- yeah."

Although frowning, Hyungwon nodded and stretched a pair of latex gloves over his hands, "I was planning to check, anyway."

The men patched up the innumerable defence wounds on Minjun's shins and forearms. Most of them were dirtied with dust and mud, a few even being close to infection.

"These are all at different stages of healing," Hyungwon murmured.

Hoseok handed him a cotton pad that he motioned for, "you think he was abused every day that he was there?"

"I'd assume so," said Hyungwon.

Hoseok didn't reply, a saddened pout over his heart-shaped lips. He continued wiping down a few grazes on Minjun's knees, swiping out the debris and dried blood into an alcohol wipe before smearing medicine on it.

Hoseok let his eyes stray to Minjun's face. The boy's left eye was painted a blotchy red, swollen slightly in contrast to his right cheek which puffed out like a balloon. His cheek was worse, Hoseok would come to decide, splotched with reds and yellows and little cuts.

"They're both fractured," Hyunwon explained as he saw the mechanic's gaze, "his cheekbone and his eye socket."

Hoseok sounded, "I would have said so as well," before he regarded the change in Minjun's breathing. The boy huffed, lips pursing subconsciously before his eyes jerked open.

"Hoseok, would you mind getting him some clothes while I test him?"

Without hesitating, Hoseok bowed to the doctor and left the infirmary. He had been so anxious standing beside the two that the escape was calming, allowing for a moment to breathe before he set off to their bedroom.

He didn't see to it that he rushed. Hoseok would have loathed walking back into the clinic to see something he wished he hadn't, opting to take his time so that he'd return when Minjun was prepared for comfort.