63: inked

♡

Though benign in volume, the music of the tattoo studio's radio clobbered in time with Minjun's heart. He could have whimpered at the feeling of his pulse in his throat, but he sucked it up and plodded into the facility behind Jungkook.

A pool of sweat lined his top lip, disguised beneath his face mask.

"Oh my god," he huffed, "I am so scared."

Jungkook instantly turned and halted the boy, "we can go home, right now if that's what you'd rather."

"No!" Minjun's cheeks darkened as he promptly diminished his tone, "This is what I want, I just needed to say it out loud." Jungkook gave the younger boy a moment to breathe, watching his body for signs of scepticism or regret.

Only anxiety, but the excitement was still there — overthrowing most of the doubt he was feeling.

"Ready," he sighed, at last, taking ahold of Jungkook's hand. He let the elder guide him through to a curtained-off corner decorated with tens of gothic posters and intimidating novelties.

A middle-aged man scampered over to welcome Jungkook with a fatherly smile illustrating his stubble-smeared face.

"Jeon Jungkook!" His hands climbed to the boy's cheeks, "It's been so long! You're here for another?"

"Not today Hangyeol," Jungkook said with a smile, "I'm here getting my boyfriend his first tattoo. I knew you'd be the man." The tattoo artist released the gangster and grabbed Minjun into a hug. When he pulled away, his soft, wrinkle-adorned eyes observed the boy.

"My name is Lee Hangyeol," he introduced himself proudly, "I have known your Jungkook for years now, he's always been such a lovely boy."

"Ah- you don't need to talk so highly of me, Hangyeol, Minjun knows all about my wonderful charisma," chortled Jungkook as he collapsed in an armchair by the entrance.

Hangyeol waved him off and gently pulled Minjun over to the black leather chair in the middle of the area, "take a seat." Minjun settled himself as Hangyeol sat on an undersized seat on wheels.

Jungkook sent Minjun a comforting grin and an enthusiastic show of a thumbs up. The younger released a breath that he didn't know he was holding. He exhaled a slow, shaky puff and turned his awareness to Hangyeol.

"What can I do for you?"

"Have you seen the movie My Neighbor Totoro?"

"I'm sorry," groaned Minjun, "I was such a wimp!"

Jungkook squeezed his hand over the pub table, "don't be, I'll never complain about having you on my lap." He dropped the boy's hand as the waitress came back over, helping her extract the drinks from her tray and tipping her before he captured Minjun's hand again.

"How does it feel?" Asked Jungkook, lips loosely encircled over the straw of his coke zero.

Minjun eyed the dressing on his forearm, "it's sore, like a sunburn, but it's nothing terrible." 

"I miss that feeling."

"Weird."

"I know," Jungkook sighed heartily.

Minjun nibbled on the striped paper straw in his mouth, making it troublesome to extract the Fanta orange. He gnawed and sipped in rhythm, staring at nothing as he and Jungkook sat peacefully in silence.

"Kookie?"

The elder hummed in acknowledgement.

"Do you still have any hard feelings for me?"

"Minjun?" Jungkook smacked his lips off of his straw, "I love you."

"I know, but—"

"I remember everything that has happened in the past half a year or so," said Jungkook with a melancholic smile, "all of us do, and we all regret how we treated you at first. Namjoon tried hard for us to look after you and care for you like our own.

You've shown so much resilience and courage and unconditional love, Minjun, you're so special to us."

"I just wanted to tell you that I forgive everyone for what happened back then," Minjun glimmered.

Jungkook shook his head, "it should never have happened, and formally, I apologise."

"You nearly died to save my life, Kookie, we're even."

Minjun quieted the shameful gangster as he began grumbling excessive apologies, tapping a parched kiss on his cheek. Jungkook glowed a furious pink, eyes falling from Minjun's face to the wooden table. The younger swallowed down a giggle.

"Remember when those girls came to our house and tried killing us? Brought assassins and still lost!"

Jungkook laughed, "and when those boys took us and you pretended to be Yoongi."

"They gassed us in the street!"

"We were kidnapping their men, to be fair."

Minjun shrugged, "I guess."

"We've been through a lot together," Jungkook chuckled. He put his hand on Minjun's knee, fingers spread to encompass the joint. Minjun smiled bashfully and took satisfaction in the way that the elder gently gripped his thigh at random times.

"We have," Minjun shrugged, "I wouldn't change it for the world nowadays."

if you would prefer a visual rather than imagining the tattoo, here —