Chapter 20

"You're kidding me, right?" JJ asks, turning to John B in disbelief as we all climbed out of the Twinkie and took in the scene in front of us. 

"The graveyard. You've got to be shitting me John B. Not in the middle of the night." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair as I stared at the graveyard that eerily laid in front of us. 

"Come on, hey. Hey, come on." John B muttered back to us as he led the way through. Kie followed closely behind him, before JJ sighed and followed the boy. Pope and I held back and shared a look between one another, both of us communicating how we thought this was a bad idea. 

John B has some pretty bad ideas, but this I think, might top it all. 

I sighed at Pope before shrugging my shoulders and he nodded, both of us deciding to tag along at the back of the pack. At least it was better if we were with John B to support his shit ideas I guess. 

"I'm coming. This place is scary." Kie whines from behind John B, "John B, what are we doing?"

"Shut up." John B hushes us all, "You know how you're trying to remember a song and can't remember who sings it?" 

"Yeah." Kie hesitates in an unconvincing tone. 

"So, Redfield. This whole time, I thought it was a place, right? But it's not a place. It's a person." John B explains, as he continues to lead us through the graveyard, until he comes to a halt in front of a grave stone. We all arrive closely behind him and JJ, Pope and I linger slightly at the back from the other two. 

"Voi-effing-là." JJ sarcastically responds, and I gently elbow him in the ribs for his comment. 

"Ow." JJ whines, looking at me in confusion but I simply raise my eyebrows at the boy and turn to John B to continue. 

"See, my great-great-grandmother Olivia Redfield." John B holds up his light to display the name on the grave stone, "That was her maiden name."

"Sorry, how did I have no idea that this person existed?" I ask in confusion, as this woman was clearly my great-grandmother as well. 

"Help me with the door. Come on." John B ignores me and gestures to the boys. 

"All right." Pope reluctantly agrees and both boys begin trying to move the door, but their struggles were apparent from the grunting escaping both boys' mouths. 

"Are you pushing?" Pope asks. 

"Yeah, I'm pushing." John B impatiently replies, his voice clearly strained. 

"Come on." Pope encourages.

"Hold on. I got it." JJ announces as he joins the pair and tries to help move the door. 

"This door is like 700 pounds. It's not gonna budge." Pope sighs.

"We didn't come this far to get this far, all right?" JJ tries to reason with them, "We got this."

Hissing fills the air, before a snake darts out of the gap behind the door and launches at the boys.

"Fuck!" I jump back, terrified of the animal and cling onto Kie for stabilisation. 

"Whoa!" Pope jumps back.

"A snake!" JJ calls out. 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Pope ushers all of the Pogues away from the snake, as we stand back and watch it slither onto the ground. 

"That's a moccasin, all right." JJ announces, his voice still in fear of the animal. 

"What the heck is a moccasin?" I ask impatiently.