Chapter 21

"Wooo!" JJ cheers, "That shit was intense."

"Pogue style baby." John B smirks from the drivers seat.

"That's what I'm talking about my boy!" JJ calls out, leaning forwards and putting John B on the back, before leaning backwards again on his seat. 

Pope was laid out on the floor, clearly trying to regain composure from the earlier events, whilst Kie was sat on the seat next to where he was lying, and JJ and I were sat opposite each other.

"Thanks for almost killing us again John B." Kie rolls her eyes in a light hearted manner.

"Get used to it Kook." JJ smiles at her, before leaning back down in his seat. His eyes dart across to meet mine and I shoot him a smile which surprisingly, he returns. 

My mind darts back to earlier - JJ and I at the lake. My stomach sinks as I think back to JJ telling me he loves me and almost kissing me. Why did I pull back? I could've heard him out more. I mentally scold myself at my actions, but remind myself to catch JJ alone later to apologise to him. Maybe if I apologise for cutting him off, he will open up a bit more to me about what he meant when he claimed he loved me. But JJ throws me off with his hot and cold shit: earlier he said he loves me, but I guarantee when I bring it up to him later he will just shut me down and say he only meant it lightly and deny any 'moment' occurring between us. 

***

John B pulls the Twinkie up to the Chateau and we all begin to climb out. 

"Come on Pope man, let's get you some new pants." JJ pats Pope on the back as they climb out. Pope shoots JJ an unappreciative glare back as JJ sniggers at the boy. Kie and I share a look of amusement between each other as we follow John B into the Chateau. 

"I'm starving!" JJ announces as he heads straight for the kitchen, Pope making a dive into John B's room, presumably to get some more pants. 

I catch John B staring at the envelope in his hand and suddenly my stomach drops at the reminder of what we found. I don't know what lays inside that envelope, but a part of me says it can't be a good sign. I gulp in anticipation as to what it will uncover. John B is in a bad enough state as it is over his Uncle John - I don't want him to get worse. I watch the boy sit down at the table, his eyes completely fixated on the envelope in his hands: my stomach drops at the thought. I slowly walk over to where John B's sat and when I reach him, he looks up at me and catches my eye. I send him a reassuring smile and place my hand on his shoulder. I watch as his gaze softens and he smiles back at me, placing his hand on top of mine and giving it a comforting squeeze.

"We're in this together remember." I remind him. He nods back at me, comforting me so I know he knows he is not alone through this. 

"That bread had mould on it three days ago." Pope moans. I look up to see Pope has reappeared, with a pair of John B's pants on, and he is disapprovingly looking down at JJ who is buttering some toast.  

"I'll just pull off the bad parts." JJ responds, "Plus, mould is good for you. It's just a natural organism."

"JJ!" Kie scolds him and motions her eyes towards John B. 

"Yup, yup, yup!" JJ calls back, picking up his plate and running over to join Kie and I who are stood behind John B, anxiously waiting for him to reveal the contents of the envelope. 

"Hot damn! Let's do it." JJ cries. He places the toast into his mouth, before gagging and spitting it back out onto the plate. Pope and I roll our eyes at the boy, before Pope comes over and joins us and John B opens the envelope, pulling out a map.

"Holy shit." Pope sighs, before pointing to a destination on the map marked with a cross, "Oh. X marks the spot."

"Longitude, latitude." John B begins pointing at numbers written on it, before his attention gets captured elsewhere, "Wait, there's somethin' else in there."